[Grammar] Lost, missing, lacking

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,
Please note I'm not a teacher nor a native speaker;

Just for the clarity of discussion;
Both of you have used the term "passive" many times.
I have the impression that 5jj, for most time, is talking about the passive voice - we don't use the lack in passive voice.
Where in BC example it seems to me that the "lacked by" is past participle modifying noun phrase and serves more as post-positive adjective with some passive sense.

Could you please clarify it.

Cheers
My first post contained a disclaimer:

I'm not sure whether grammarians call it passive

It is still true.

... it seems to me that the "lacked by" is past participle modifying noun phrase and serves more as post-positive adjective with some passive sense.
I think (and I deliberately use the word think) that the following preposition, by, suggests that it is a past participle rather than an adjective*, and that therefore it is an ellipted passive.

*I realise that this could be opening another can of words.

I noted BC's "I'm not sure whether grammarians call it passive", and did not address it directly then. I am a coward, sometimes, but I have hesitantly committed myself in the first sentence of this post.

PS to any moderators. What do you think about moving this thread to the Linguistics forum? I don't think we are being very helpful in the 'Ask a Teacher' section any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back