Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Baoyi who is a video blogger shares how he successfully trains his puppy with just TWO WORDS.

Whenever his puppy does something desirable, he will say 'gooooood' with a reward. Whenever the puppy does something undesirable, he will say sullenly 'hmmmmm?' in a raising tone along with a very mild punishment.

After watching the interesting training click, I wanted to try the new trick I'd just learnt. I commented below the video 'Gooooooooooooooooooood'!

A few hours later he responded to me 'Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm'?

While reading his response, I almost could have seen he had stood in front of me staring at me dourly.

'Scoot off! I don't wanna get punished' I whispered to myself.

Ta-ta!

Last edited:
Baoyi who is a video blogger [STRIKE]shares how[/STRIKE] claims that he successfully trained his puppy with just TWO WORDS.

Whenever his puppy does something desirable, he will say 'Gooooood' [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] and gives it a reward. Whenever the puppy does something undesirable, he will say sullenly 'Hmmmmm?' in a [STRIKE]raising[/STRIKE] rising tone along with a very mild punishment.

After watching [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] that interesting training clip, [STRIKE]click,[/STRIKE] I wanted to try the new trick I'd just learnt. I commented below the video 'Gooooooooooooooooooood'!

A few hours later, he responded to me 'Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm'?

While reading his response, I almost could [STRIKE]have seen he had stood[/STRIKE] imagine him standing in front of me staring at me dourly.

'Scoot off! I don't wanna get punished' I whispered to myself.

Ta-ta!

Learn the difference between "raise" and "rise".

Last edited by a moderator:
reply to teechar

Whenever his puppy does something desirable, he will say 'gooooood' with and gives it a reward.
Whenever the puppy does something undesirable, he will say sullenly 'hmmmmm?' in a
raisingrising tone along with a very mild punishment.

The structures of the two sentences above are parallel.

Would you please tell me why you revised my words as 'and gives it a reward' in the first sentence, while you DIDN'T revise 'along with a very mild punishment' as 'and gives it a very mild punishment' in the second sentence?

Did you revise my words in the first sentence for avoiding the same wording which sound boring or they are grammatically wrong?

second thought

I think 'with' is wrong, and 'along with' is correct. Correct?

Last edited:
I revised it because it didn't sound very natural.

I think it is not logical to write "say something with a reward". There is no verb that goes with the reward, which begs the question: What does the sayer do with the reward?

The same applies to the second sentence. What does the sayer do with the punishment?. I would say
he metes out the punishment (just to avoid repeating the word give).

I do not see the difference between with and along with.

Last edited:
I think it is not logical to write "say something with a reward". There is no verb that goes with the reward, which begs the question: What does the sayer do with the reward?

The same applies to the second sentence. What does the sayer do with the punishment?. I would say
he metes out the punishment (just to avoid repeating the word give).

I do not see the difference between with and along with.

May I ask a few questions?

Does Malaysia where you are from play an important role in the proficiency in your English except for your great efforts which I can observe on the forum and imagine? I wonder if you went to the schools where English was the teaching language, and you have been reading books in English all the time, watching/listening to English programs in Malaysia, etc. In other words, have you been exposed in an Engish environment? ---I have been curious about this for a long time!!!

Would you please advise on the improvement of my English writing? Is there any way for me to learn more efficiently if my expressions are natural except for posting my writing for proofreading?

e.g.1, The book is $1.5. :cross:
e.g.2. smell something hard :cross:
e.g.3. say 'goood' with a reward :cross:

These are not taught in the dictionary, and grammar books I've learnt.

PS--Advice from forum teachers, native speakers, and other fellow forum members are appreciated too. I'm just very curious how tedmc who is not a native speaker make it!

Last edited:
Hi tree123.

Does Malaysia where you are from play an important role in the proficiency in your English except for your great efforts which I can observe on the forum [STRIKE]and imagine[/STRIKE]?

Yes, English is second language in Malaysia after Malay, the national language, though its standard and role have been declining due to emphasis being given to the latter. It is after all a legacy from the British colonial past (until independence in 1957).

I wonder if you went to[STRIKE] the[/STRIKE] schools where English was the teaching language, and you have been reading books in English all the time, watching/listening to English programs in Malaysia, etc. In other words, have you been exposed[STRIKE] in [/STRIKE] to an English environment?

Yes, the language is quite widely used in Malaysia, in addition to Malay, the national language. Next come the native languages of the various other races viz. mainly the Chinese and Indians with their various dialects which are spoken as the mother tongues though there are schools where the vernacular languages are taught as the medium of instruction. Being trilingual is common.

The environment for learning English in Malaysia is quite a contrast to that in China. While the environment here is certainly more condusive to learning the language, the standard is declining too as Malay is being given more importance at the expense of English. It is unlike in Singapore, our southern neighbour, where English is prioritised and is the main language. Of course the English used here cannot compared to English-speaking countries as it is a local variant (some call it Manglish) with a local slangs and accents, which native speakers would find it difficult to understand.

I think the 'push" to learn English in China only started in the 80's during the Deng Xioaoping era where it started to open up to the West and really picked up in the 90's. English there has been taught only as a subject in schools and is hardly used or spoken outside schools. You see signs in public places in English, which often sound unnatural as they are direct translations from Chinese. In short, there is a general lack of exposure to the language. And the shortage of teachers who are proficient in the language does not help. I think those who are good at the language are mostly those who have gone for studies in western countries, like the presenters at the CGTN TV station or Prof. Zhang Weiwei of Fudan University. I spent a few years in New Zealand for my tertiary studies.

---I have been curious about this for a long time!!!

Would you please advise on the improvement of my English writing? Is there any way for me to learn more efficiently [STRIKE]if[/STRIKE], so that my expressions are natural [STRIKE]except for[/STRIKE] other than posting my writing for proofreading?

I think this is an excellent platform for learners, me included, to improve their writing in English. Mind you, after finishing school/college, you don't have teachers to mark or comment on your writing. You could have been making the same mistakes for years (which your teachers in school did not tell you) and continue to do it until and unless there is someone to point them out to you. I have friends in their 50s and 60s who still make very basic grammar mistakes in their writing and in the course of my work, I receive letters in English riddled with grammar mistakes. It is even more difficult to "unlearn" things about the language one has been used to that are incorrect, and try to "relearn" the correct versions. Some of the mistakes non-natives have been making could have been due to being taught the wrong way by their English teachers, who are not really proficient in the language themselves. It is a harder language to learn than Chinese in terms of complexities of its grammar and nuances of the language. But it is nothing compared to the Chinese language. The thousands of Chinese characters have to be learned and memorized one by one, which are different for every word since there are no alphabets to begin with. Incidentally, I have been trying to improve my written Chinese too.

e.g.1, The book is $1.5. :cross:
e.g.2. smell something hard :cross:
e.g.3. say 'goood' with a reward :cross:...

These are not [STRIKE]taught[/STRIKE] shown in the dictionary, and grammar books I've learnt from.

I think the challenge is for non-native learners to develop the sense for discerning what is natural and what is not in English. Like you, I am still trying to hone my skills in that direction, trying to get close to the standard of a native speaker. It is acquired through lots of reading and writing, which is a lifelong process. Being 'embarassed' by people commenting, criticizing and pointing out your mistakes is good; the lessons sink in deeper.

Hope the above answers your questions.

Last edited:
I'll add here that Ted's written English is better than most native speakers'.

I would have if anyone had asked me.
The question wasn't even addressed to you, Charlie, but in any case, what's wrong with them?
"The book is $1.50" looks good to me.

And I can even think of a context in which the second might work.

Last edited:
It's good but I wouldn't go so far as to use "most". I'd go with "some".
Perhaps Charlie has some statistics to back up his claim.

Two things, tedmc. One, I certainly have never intended to embarrass you. If that has happened, I apologize. Two, I didn't know English is considered the main language in Singapore. (That would explain why the people there are so proficient at it.)

That's a minor issue. For the benefit of our learners: it is quite natural to say "The book is [price]" whatever the price is.

Two, I didn't know English is considered the main language in Singapore.
A non-native form of English is sometimes used by some people there. Have you never heard of Singlish?

Singlish is very similar to Malaysian English, which is English infused with direct translations, accents and slangs from the local languages viz. Malay, Chinese and Indian.

The following is a humourous video of a speech by a Canadian expatriate on Malaysian English:

https://youtu.be/tQmNIqdwVMw

Last edited:
Who told you these were wrong?

Probus told me I should use $1.50 in a piece of my writing.

Emsr2d2 told me they didn't say 'smell it hard' in another piece of my writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back