Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

I am sharing my opinion about why it is important to learn English. I think most of my sentences sound unnatural because I word them in the exact same way I use them in my own language.
I would be very grateful to hear your opinion.

Thank you.

"I think a foreign language is useful for the general development of a person. A knowledge of languages expands opportunities in communication, education and work. It helps to feel like yourself, to feel confident while travelling/ during the travel. A/the Leaning process develops a memory. If a student doesn't have a specific purpose for the language learning and *there is no* deadline for the examination passing he can spend not so much time for this."

I think "memory" should be without the indefinite article. I tried to correct the last sentence by adding "there is no". "For this" should be changed into "on this". I am not sure whether is should be "a learning process" or "the leaning process" or zero article. "Not so much time" I think also sounds unnatural. Perhaps "he can spend less time on this".

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you already think they're unnatural because you've done a direct translation from Georgian, why don't you try to write them without directly translating them? That will give us a much better idea of your level of English!

Since you already think they're unnatural because you've done a direct translation from Georgian, why don't you try to write them without directly translating them? That will give us a much better idea of your level of English!
I have just tried.
I think a foreign language is useful for the general development of a person. A knowledge of languages expands opportunities in communication, education and work. It helps to feel confident while travelling. The Learning process develops memory. If a student doesn't have a specific purpose for the language learning and *there is no* deadline for the examination he can spend less time it.

Does it sound idiomatic? Thank you!

Version 1:
"I think a foreign language is useful for the general development of a person. A knowledge of languages expands opportunities in communication, education and work. It helps to feel like yourself, to feel confident while travelling/ during the travel. A/the Leaning process develops a memory. If a student doesn't have a specific purpose for the language learning and *there is no* deadline for the examination passing he can spend not so much time for this."
Version 2:
I think a foreign language is useful for the general development of a person. A knowledge of languages expands opportunities in communication, education and work.
It helps to feel confident while travelling. The Learning process develops memory. If a student doesn't have a specific purpose for the language learning and *there is no* deadline for the examination he can spend less time it.
In version 1 above, I have marked in red the only things you changed in version 2. You removed a total of six words, and changed another three. That's not much of a re-write!

Let's take this step by step. Let's concentrate just on the very first sentence.
1. A foreign language can't be useful in its own right. It's no use to someone unless that person learns/speaks it. Try to incorporate that into the first couple of words.
2. What do you mean by "the general development of a person"? How does a language develop a person? Explain more, please.

In version 1 above, I have marked in red the only things you changed in version 2.
Do you mean the things I changed are wrong? I mean the way I corrected them. Are they still wrong?
You removed a total of six words, and changed another three. That's not much of a re-write!
I thought the other parts were correct. :/

Let's take this step by step. Let's concentrate just on the very first sentence.
1. A foreign language can't be useful in its own right. It's no use to someone unless that person learns/speaks it.
Perhaps " A foreign language can be very useful when a person speaks or learns it.:
Try to incorporate that into the first couple of words.

2. What do you mean by "the general development of a person"? How does a language develop a person? Explain more, please.
I mean the benefits it brings. You learn about a new culture and can even read books in the original language. It is a very different experience. Learning new words is a good practice and benefits the brain. I think I read an article about it.

In version 1 above, I have marked in red the only things you changed in version 2. You removed a total of six words, and changed another three. That's not much of a re-write!

1. A foreign language can't be useful in its own right. It's no use to someone unless that person learns/speaks it. Try to incorporate that into the first couple of words.

"I think a foreign language is useful for the general development of a person. (After my explanation in post 5 does it now make sense?) A knowledge of languages expands opportunities in communication, education and work. It helps to feel confident while travelling. A Learning process develops memory. If a student doesn't have a specific purpose for the language learning and there is no deadline for the examination passing he can spend less time on it.

I removed "feel like yourself". Is it better now?

I think what you want to say is:

I think learning a foreign language is useful for personal development.

You're an advanced learner. You are well past the time when you need to be comparing English to your first language.

Back