Joe Biden should step down/step aside ...

optimistic pessimist

Member Type
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Joe Biden should step down/aside from the presidential race.

Regarding the choice between the two words, is it correct to say "step aside" is closer in nuance to "pass the torch"?

Joe Biden should step down/aside from the presidential race.

Regarding the choice between the two words, is it correct to say "step aside" is closer in nuance to "pass the torch"?
Step aside carries a similar nuance as stepping down, but it is improper in this particular context. Joe Biden is stepping down from the Presidency. He is not stepping aside from the Presidency, although he IS stepping aside to allow Kamala to run.

The nuance that is similar here is the act of resigning, but 'step down' does not connote the same sense of 'allowing someone or something else to proceed' like 'step aside' does.

FYI I am not a teacher, but I am a native English speaker.

With respect, @Margaret Cavendish, I disagree. Joe Biden is currently the president. "Step down" would imply that he is resigning the preeidency. But he is not. By declining to run for re-election he is merely stepping aside so that others may run as the Democrat party's candidate.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back