[Grammar] It can be dangerous to cycle in the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my take on the examples from post #35.

10) The writer is relating a story about a past event, so he uses could to show past time ability. He was literally trying to imagine what had happened.

11) I don't think this one is really about a past ability to imagine anything. The writer probably wasn't trying to imagine anything.

12) I think this one is identical to 11. I think the writer is just trying to stress how much the hurricane affected her.

13) I think the writer really was trying to imagine the man's Christmas. It's similar to 10.

Here's my take on the examples from post #35.

10) The writer is relating a story about a past event, so he uses could to show past time ability. He was literally trying to imagine what had happened.

11) I don't think this one is really about a past ability to imagine anything. The writer probably wasn't trying to imagine anything.

12) I think this one is identical to 11. I think the writer is just trying to stress how much the hurricane affected her.

13) I think the writer really was trying to imagine the man's Christmas. It's similar to 10.
But I couldn't imagine is about the past time in all of them. Am I right?

Yes. They're all personal narratives about the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back