Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Does "ing." is always pronounced like"in".

For example

Swimming =simmin

Playing=playin

[STRIKE]Does[/STRIKE] Is "ing" [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] always pronounced like "in"?

For example:

Swimming = swimmin
Playing = playin

Note my changes above. The "g" is omitted only by lazy speakers.

Note my changes above. The "g" is omitted only by lazy speakers.

I wouldn't call nearly all speakers of American English "lazy". In fact, I don't think that's a useful appellation for anyone who uses pronunciations different from those found in dictionaries.

American English speakers rarely pronounce the /ng/ sound.

The "g" is omitted only by lazy speakers.

I can't let you get away with that! What do you mean by 'lazy'?!

This is a feature of speech common to many different cultural groups worldwide.

In my dialect, swimming can sound like swimmin or swimmeen.

I read a paper several years ago that said that in US English, this feature of speech is significantly more common to male speech than female. Does that sound right to you, GoesStation?

(I can't cite the source.)

I read a paper several years ago that said that in US English, this feature of speech is significantly more common to male speech than female. Does that sound right to you, GoesStation?

(I can't cite the source.)
I can't say I've noticed. I'll give it a listen and report back (if I remember).

Wow, my grandfather would be turning in his grave! As a child, if I didn't enunciate clearly the "-ing" at the end of those words, there was hell to pay! The same rule was applied by all my English teachers at school. I have genuinely never considered it anything to do with regional accents or dialects. However, I stand corrected.

Wow, my grandfather would be turning in his grave! As a child, if I didn't enunciate clearly the "-ing" at the end of those words, there was hell to pay! The same rule was applied by all my English teachers at school. I have genuinely never considered it anything to do with regional accents or dialects.

If I understand rightly, you're saying that this is a question of politics, not laziness, right? Did your grandfather think it made you sound 'common' or what?

If I understand rightly, you're saying that this is a question of politics, not laziness, right? Did your grandfather think it made you sound 'common' or what?

I'm not sure that's how he would have put it. He was simply very clear about speaking "properly" (his words) and enunciating correctly. I once made the mistake of not pronouncing both "r"s in "February" and the look on his face could have stopped traffic. I am certain that he called such pronunciation lazy though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back