Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There was a certain coldness in her attitude towards me.

I feel a certain reluctance to tell her the news.

At the first I thought that must be some sort of an error on the publisher's side. Then, there was another one following it. Is this a case of There are so many rules in English language but always more exceptions?:shock:

Many thanks

Richard

Last edited:
At the first I thought that must be some sort of an error on the publisher's side. Then, there was another one following it. Is this a case of There are so many rules in English language but always more exceptions?:shock:
I think it's more a case of beginner's rules not working well for more advanced students.
Many thanks

Richard
It's not unusual for nouns that are taught as uncountable to have 'a' before them.
You can think of the above as meaning "a type of coldness", "an instance of reluctance", where the real noun is ellipted out.

She brought me a [kind of] happiness I've never known before.
This beach is blessed with a pure white [type of] sand that stretches for miles.

Basically, placing an indefinite article before an abstract noun, such as coldness or reluctance, makes it more concrete than without it. The concept of quality is still remnant, but it has been modified to showcase a single instance.

Can I safely think that this usage is universal and I am allowed to put an indefinate article in front of any noun generally viewed as uncountable?

I was not referring to your example.

This beach is blessed with a pure white sand that stretches for miles.

I'll point out to you that sand is a mass noun, not an abstract noun.

In your example, sand is being modified by adjectives that permit an indefinite article such as a to be used. Furthermore, the initial sound of pure requires an a rather than an.

Does this help clarify things, Raymott?

I was not referring to your example.

This beach is blessed with a pure white sand that stretches for miles.

I'll point out to you that sand is a mass noun, not an abstract noun.
It's an uncountable noun. That's the topic.
Yes, it's not an abstract noun. If it were, it would not be a counterexample to your claim that it's ok to use the indefinite article "only before abstract nouns."
To argue against that statement, one would have to produce an uncountable noun (such as sand), that was not abstract, and which could take an indefinite article - which I had done even before you made the claim.

In your example, sand is being modified by adjectives that permit an indefinite article such as a to be used.
So, you agree that your statement that you can only do this with abstract nouns has exceptions (or is wrong) - for example, when there are adjectives qualifying the uncountable noun?

Furthermore, the initial sound of pure requires an a rather than an.
Yes, I would agree with that. Was that in contention?
R.

You're acting quite childish, especially for someone who is a dedicated member. Please note: I am not going to argue with your nonsensical ramblings.

I will reiterate my previous response to the original poster: In this particular case, only before abstract nouns.

PS - I'm glad you understand that sand is not an abstract noun. ;-)

Just a caution to posters - please avoid any name-calling on the message boards. If you vehemently disagree with someone it's best to continue your debate via PM. Now, everyone shake hands and play nicely. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back