I'll go check it out

• Thread starter allthewayanime
  • Start date
  • Views : 15,343
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see it as a leap at all. Once you've accepted that grammatical structure (two ordinary nonfinite verbs together), you can justify, "Sit watch this movie with me; Drive see the States")

Not being comfortable with those sentences is not a grammatical judgement; you just haven't heard them enough yet. I don't see how 'go' and 'come' are special verbs at all. 'Sit' is also initiating an action; and it has just as much right to be used this way, as I see it, as 'go' and 'come' do - that is, the right to be used as an exception to traditional grammar until such verbs are numerous enough (and people are comfortable enough through hearing them) that they will insist that they are grammatical.

Except that in the AmE usage we're talking about, the verbs come and go are really just being used as modals indicating the distance between the interlocutor and the desired place of action. I don't think you can have relatively less common verbs (sit, drive are far less common than come and go) acting as modals, because people will say "What, did he just say that?" before being confident they understood.

On another note, the British National Corpus has quite a number of such entries as well:

http://bnc.bl.uk/saraWeb.php?qy=go+get&mysubmit=Go

Your question was "Will it be correct if I use 'I'll go to check it out' instead of 'I'll go check it out'?
Are you now saying that you intended to ask, "Will it be correct if I use 'I'll go to check it out' instead of 'I'll go and check is out'?"
If so, then I'd say that it would be correct to use "go to check it out" rather than "go and check it out" - but not essential, as you will have realised by now.

My post 19 was referring to the post 16.
Regarding the 2 questions ( go to open the window and come to study ) my English teacher said that in interrogative questions when we have 2 verbs correlated between them we have to use only 'and'.Those sentences where in an English test and my choice with 'to' was incorrect so I really want to know if it's true what my teacher told me. Could someone confirm this statement?

Last edited:
Regarding the 2 questions ( go to open the window and come to study ) my English teacher said that in interrogative questions when we have 2 verbs correlated between them we have to use only 'and'.Those sentences w[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]ere in an English test and my choice with 'to' was incorrect so I really want to know if it's true what my teacher told me. Could someone confirm this statement?
It is not correct.

So if I use :

Could I come over (to your house) to study with you?
Could you go to open the window?

Would it be correct , wouldn't it?

Barb made that clear in post #17. I later suggested that I preferred 'and', but I did not say that 'to' was incorect. It is not.

...Those sentences w[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]ere in an English test ...

This could be just a typo, but you've done it twice - which leads me to suspect there's a pronunciation problem here:
  • were - verb - /wɜ:/
  • where - adverb etc - /weə/

(You may have been taught by a native speaker who said this; this error is very common - in fact, calling it an 'error' may raise hackles :oops: {for example, my English teacher when I was at school spoke like this}; but it is not RP.)

b

This could be just a typo, but you've done it twice - which leads me to suspect there's a pronunciation problem here:
  • were - verb - /wɜ:/
  • where - adverb etc - /weə/
(You may have been taught by a native speaker who said this; this error is very common - in fact, calling it an 'error' may raise hackles :oops: {for example, my English teacher when I was at school spoke like this}; but it is not RP.)

You are suggesting a native speaker might pronounce this as "Those sentences /weə/ in an English test"? I have never heard anyone (native or otherwise) say this. How might this person pronounce "Where were we going?"

You are suggesting a native speaker might pronounce this as "Those sentences /weə/ in an English test"? :up: That's it.I have never heard anyone (native or otherwise) say this. How might this person pronounce "Where were we going?"

It would depend on the dialect It might be [ʍɜ: wə...]. But that context makes the 'were' unstressed. If stressed, it'd be [wɜ:].

b

You are suggesting a native speaker might pronounce this as "Those sentences /weə/ in an English test"?
It is rather more likely that Bob was suggesting that some native speakers pronounce 'where' as /wɜ:/. I have met people who do this.

It is rather more likely that Bob was suggesting that some native speakers pronounce 'where' as /wɜ:/. I have met people who do this.
That too! I've heard all sorts of pairs, involving both different vowels and different consonants, with the picture further confused by various hyper-corrections.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back