Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I've just heard a native speaker say "If you opted to start as a prisoner for your starting class, you will have started with the Magic Glintblade, which is already an awesome spell" (here).

What kind of a conditional sentence is that?
According to your own table (link), there is no such type of conditional sentences.
Types of conditionals.png
As you can see, you have not provided any type that starts with a past tense and then uses "will" with a perfect infinitive.

So, if I were that person, I'd've used either:
  • If you (had) opted to start as a prisoner for your starting class, you would have started with the Magic Glintblade, which is already an awesome spell.
    (As for the brackets around “had”, Americans often reduce the past perfect to the past simple in if-clauses in third conditional sentences)

or

• If you opt to start as a prisoner for your starting class, you will start with the Magic Glintblade, which is already an awesome spell.

instead of what he actually said:

• If you opted to start as a prisoner for your starting class, you will have started with the Magic Glintblade, which is already an awesome spell.

Using "will" instead of "would" there makes it clear that the speaker is absolutely certain that that's what happened.

We sometimes use the "will have verb+ed/participle" to express certainty about something that's already happened.

I hear you went for dinner at Pizza Express last night. You'll have had the pizza Fiorentina then! (From experience, I know that's what you always order at that restaurant.)

Pete told me you played tennis with him yesterday. You'll have lost 6-7 in the final set then! (The speaker knows those two people play each other frequently, it's always a tight match but Pete usually wins.)

You studied philosophy at Manchester University? You'll have had lectures from Professor Puffle. Isn't she bonkers?! (The speaker either has personal experience of the course and the professor, or has heard so much information about her that they're confident in saying that.)

According to your own table (link), there is no such type of conditional sentences.
Those five types of conditional sentences are the most common, but it is misleading to suggest that they are the only ones.

It's not a bad framework to present a(n over-)simplified view for learners of how conditionals work. The problem with it is that some coursebooks, and many teachers, present it as the be-all and end-all of conditional sentences. If you include the various combinations of tenses/aspects and modals, there are well over fifty 'types'.

You will find a more in-depth survey of English conditionals in the series of UE articles beginning here: https://www.usingenglish.com/articles/conditional-sentences-in-english-1.html

You mays also find this thread from another site interesting; https://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst148348_Conditional-1-and-2.aspx

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back