If they both come, first of all, I won't get a look in, you know what it's like.

shootingstar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
(William, the chorister, and his mother Evelyn talking in a restaurant)

(William)
'Be honest, that's not the only reason you don't want Howard to come and sit in the pew with you and Robert, is it?'
'I'd rather it just be me, but I know I wouldn't get away with that. I just don't want to have to share it (= hearing William singing the 'Miserere' at Ash Wednesday) with them and that's the truth.'
'Is it? Really?' He's surprised he feels more sad than angry. The memory of her failing the monkey mask test that Cristmas, and how gentle his dad was with her afterwards, when she'd spat out the word 'homosexual' as if it was poison. 'Are you sure it's not because you're ashamed of them?'
'Does Howard come too?' Evelyn's suddenly crisp and alert.
'On these evensong visits?'
'Yes:'
Evelyn scrunches up her face.
William leans forward and takes her hands. 'Mum, please, I want them both to hear me sing. I promise, they won't turn me into an undertaker, or a homosexual!'
'William>!'
'Mum! I live in a boarding school, do you think I don't know about this stuff?'
'OK! I admit it. If they both come, first of all, I won't get a look in, you know what it's like. And second, yes, I'll be embarrassed. So shoot me!' She takes a deep breath and sits back. . . .

(From A Terrible Kindness by Jo Browning Wroe, Part II Cambridge Choir, chapter 28)

I know the meaning of "not get a look-in". There are two meanings: "to get no chance to achieve what you want or to succeed in something".link. However, I don't get it's meaning in this context. How does the meaning of "not get a look in" fit the context?

Last edited:
Try this definition.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back