Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Please help checking the following sentence.

If just only my mom was (she passed away) here I wouldn’t be so lonely.

Please help me by checking the following sentence and correcting any errors.

If [STRIKE]just only[/STRIKE] my mom was [strike](she passed away)[/strike] here, I wouldn’t be so lonely. (My mum has passed away.)

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my corrections above.

Using "just only" is ungrammatical. There was no place for either word in your construction. If you want to use "If only", you could reword the whole thing to:

I'm so lonely. If only my mum were here.

The fact that you would be less lonely if she were there is implied.

Don't put an explanation for a usage in the middle of a sentence. I have moved the explanation to the end of the sentence but I have left it in brackets so that it's clear it's extra information.

You might notice that I used the subjunctive "were" in my post but I left "was" in your original. That's because you will hear both from native speakers.

Also note that I have changed your thread title. Titles should be unique and relevant to the thread, and should include some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you are asking us about. "If clause" is too generic. It could apply to hundreds of posts on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back