I wasn't born at the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Offhand, no. (Context is always helpful.)
I was having a conversation about junk food craving at night. I asked the other person "What do you do at the time?"
I would normally say "What do you do at that time" but is 'at the time' also correct here?

I wonder why 'at the time' is wrong here but correct here- "I couldn't make it yesterday because I was at work at the time."

I wonder why 'at the time' is wrong there but correct here- "I couldn't make it yesterday because I was at work at the time."
He was at work at the time his friend wanted him to come by. (Or something like that.)

I have no idea what the other one is supposed to mean. I can't even guess.

I was having a conversation about junk food craving at night. I asked the other person "What do you do at the time?"
I would normally say "What do you do at that time" but is 'at the time' also correct here?
These don't seem very natural to me. How about:

What do you do when you get these cravings?

These don't seem very natural to me. How about:
Since were were talking about night cravings, I thought it would be more natural not to say 'night cravings' again. The conversation went something like this:
A) I get night cravings every single night.
B) Yeah I get night cravings too.
A) And what do you do at the time?

Since were we were talking about night cravings, I thought it would be more natural not to say 'night cravings' again. The conversation went something like this:

The repetition of "night" in the first A) and then B) is awkward. This is a more natural dialogue. In reality, Jim would probably say what it is he craves.

Jim: I get cravings every single night.
Bob: Me too.
Jim: What do you do when it happens?

Jim: I get cravings for pizza every night.
Bob: Seriously? Would you like some now?
Jim: I sure would!
Bob: I'll call the pizza place to have some delivered.
Jim: Great!

Since were were talking about night cravings, I thought it would be more natural not to say 'night cravings' again. The conversation went something like this:
You're trying to hammer your phrase into a number of contexts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back