I was visiting/I visited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even a sentence as short as this requires closing punctuation. Also, please remember that there is no need to add a post to indicate that you have understood the contents of a response. Simply click the "Like" button to show you have read and understood the post.

Did I say it was? I was asking about the potential meanings it has.

So, I just need to know what a native speaker would or wouldn't say... it's easy... But wait. If I knew it, why would I ask you?

You have no grounds to worry about the way I spend my time, but thank you for your concern.

Who told you that I don't do it? These are different activities and one doesn't preclude the other.
Please be more respectful of the people who are trying to help you. Your one-month ban for disrespect and for being snarky has only recently come to an end yet you have managed to get two more warnings since you returned. I suggest you think very carefully before hitting "Post reply" in future.

This might be a good place to make a point. There is a reason for the dialogues. I create them to illustrate natural speech. However, if ESL learners are not going to pay attention I can easily stop doing them.

My memory is far from perfect, but I think I have one in this thread.

What is supposed to be instructive is not only what is there but what isn't there. For example, I don't think I've ever used past continuous in one of the dialogues. (I can't be certain. There have been quite a few.) Why is that? Why wouldn't I use that one more often? Well, it isn't used all that often. I'm not saying it isn't used. It is. There's a legitimate function for it. But I would only use it if the situation called for it.

I'm going to have my coffee now.
😊

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back