Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I tried to make sentences using the patterns that the dictionary suggets, but I think some are unnatural. Are they?

1. I intend you the best.
2. We intend that we will stay there for two days.
3. It is intended that we will stay there for two days.
4. I intended that pizza for you.
5. The book is intended for me.

I have tried to make write some sentences using the patterns that the dictionary suggests, but I think some are unnatural. Are they?
Which dictionary? What patterns? Please give the name of the dictionary and a link to the example sentences you found that led you to attempt these "patterns".
1. I intend you the best. ❌
I don't know what this is supposed to mean so I can't correct it.
2. We intend that we will to stay there for two days.
This is the simplest pattern of all "intend to + bare infinitive".
3. It is intended that we will stay there for two days.❌
There's no reason to use a "dummy it" phrase at the start. If you don't want to use "we" as the subject, say "The plan is for us to stay there for two days".
4. I intended that pizza for you.
I'm not keen on this one. I understand what you're trying to say but I don't think this is the best way to say it. I'd say "I wanted you to have that pizza" or "I meant for that pizza to go to you".
5. The book is intended for me. ✅
That is grammatically correct, makes sense and is clear.

"I want the best for you" makes perfect sense. That's not what you are asking about though, is it?

You seem to think we use "intend" much more than we really do.

Offhand, I would say that the noun ("intentions") is used much more often than the verb ("intend").

"I want the best for you" does not mean the same as "I intend you the best". The main reason for that is that "I intend you the best" is not a grammatical sentence. It's just wrong.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back