I have made a folder by name Rajan in my email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Is the use of phrase - by name in the following sentence correct?

1. I have made a folder by name Rajan in my email.

Can we also rewrite sentence number 1 as I have made a folder named Rajan in my email.

Thanks

Is the use of the phrase "by name" in the following sentence correct?

1. I have made a folder titled Rajan in my email.

Can we also rewrite sentence number 1 as "I have made a folder named Rajan in my email"?
The second sentence is definitely better than the first one.

The second sentence is definitely better than the first one.
Is it ungrammatical to use ”by name" in the sentence that I wrote?

You could argue that that sentence is grammatical, but that phrase doesn't mean anything there. If you mean to say that's what it's named (or titled) then say that.

Can we also rewrite sentence number 1 as I have made a folder named Rajan in my email.
I'd prefer "called", or "titled" as Tarheel says.

For some reason I find it odd to see "named" when the folder has the name of a person. If you'd called it "Notes" or "Info", I wouldn't have minded "named". Maybe it's just me.

Also, I'd prefer "created" or "opened" to "made".

Is the use of the phrase no dash here "by name" in the following sentence correct?

1. I have made a folder by name Rajan in my email.

Can we also rewrite sentence number 1 as "I have made a folder named Rajan in my email"?

Thanks. Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any helpful post.
Please note my corrections and comments above.

Sentence #1 is incorrect. I would combine the advice you've already been given and say "I've created an email folder called 'Rajan'."

Wouldn't you attach a folder called Rajan to the email?

Last edited:
You might want to edit your post. You put your statement in a quote box that makes it look as if it came from me. :)

You might want to edit your post. You put your statement in a quote box that makes it look as if it came from me. :)
Sorry. It happened because I was accessing this forum through my mobile and I pressed the wrong button.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back