Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I wish you a happy and prosperous new year!

Would you please help me with the following sentences? I wonder if both of them are good and grammatical.

a) I had an epiphany/revelation that day that bad things in my life are actually good things; they made a better me.

b) I had an epiphany/revelation that day. It struck me that bad things in my life were actually good things; they made a better me.

Context:

A few days ago I passed the driving test, the last hurdle of getting my license. I spent four years passing this test because there were many tough things took place. I failed many times and I almost gave up also during those years I wasn’t in a good mood, my health was bad. I thought I couldn’t pass the exam this time because of my former experiences. However, I passed the exam. At that moment, I suddenly realized that all those suffering years had become something valuable to me.

Indeed, I never had that epiphany until I passed the driving test. Before I passed the driving test, I felt depressed very often. I thought life was full of misfortune. After I passed the exam, I realized that all the unhappiness were created by my thoughts. The things took place in the past made me strong and I'm not afraid the bad things in the future because I believe if they really come, they make me better!

I'd say the bad things.

Then I need to say "....the bad things are actually the good things"?

Then do I need to say "....the bad things are actually the good things"?

Remember to construct questions properly on the forum. Don't just write a statement and add a question mark at the end. Initially, I deleted "Then" but I reinstated it because in this context it can mean "On that basis" (referring back to Tdol's post #2).

Yes, "the bad things in my life are actually good things" is what you need. The definite article is used because you are referring specifically to all the bad things that have happened in your life. Without it, it could be taken to mean "some of the bad things".

Remember to construct questions properly on the forum. Don't just write a statement and add a question mark at the end. Initially, I deleted "Then" but I reinstated it because in this context it can mean "On that basis" (referring back to Tdol's post #2).

Yes, "the bad things in my life are actually good things" is what you need. The definite article is used because you are referring specifically to all the bad things that have happened in your life. Without it, it could be taken to mean "some of the bad things".
Got it!

a) I had an epiphany/revelation that day that the bad things in my life are actually good things; they made a better me.

b) I had an epiphany/revelation that day. It struck me that the bad things in my life were actually good things; they made a better me.

Are both sentences natural now?

Yes (though note there was no reason at all to put both entire sentences in bold. I've edited your post). However, I meant to say this earlier in the thread - I'd end with "they made me a better me".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back