[Grammar] I don't like the 'fashion' category of/in the magazine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
Stick with "I think". It still gives your opinion and makes it clear you're not sure. I generally recommend that "would think" be reserved for native speakers and fluent second language speakers.

j. I don't know if it's called a topic, category, section, or something.

k. I don't know if it's called a topic, category, section, or something else.

Do (j) and (k) both work here?

I used (j) in the following way:
----------------
... or something

spoken used when you cannot remember, or do not think it is necessary to give, another example of something you are mentioning

Her name was Judith, or Julie, or something.

Here’s some money. Get yourself a sandwich or something.

https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/or-something

No, that's not the same thing. When somebody says "Get yourself a sandwich or something" what is meant is "Get something to eat, maybe a sandwich".

Perhaps:

Her name was Julie or Judith or -- heck, I don't really know.
:)

The right host, who is a native English speaker, says "And today in our 'the origins' category of your magazine ..."
[...] What is 'the origins category'? In what sense can a magazine have a category? He doesn't mean 'section', if that's what you think. Or rather, if he does, he's used the wrong word.
I now think that "category" here is meant that the article is talking about "origin". It is like a "tag" (like "#"), rather than a real section in the mazagine. For example, there's an article talking about "food", then the host would say 'it is in the foods category' - the magazine doesn't really have a section called "foods" but has an article about "foods".

Does this make sense to you?

[Edit: Fixed a typo.]

Last edited:
What has this question to do with the rest of the thread?

What has this question to do with the rest of the thread?
It has something to do with posts #5, #8, and #13.

Sorry. I didn't notice that you had gone back four nonths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back