Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
John and his friend used to go to the gym together. A year ago, John stopped working out there and has since become much weaker than he was back then. When his friend tells him about an upcoming competition where he plans to lift 200 kilos, John expresses interest in participating but acknowledges his current limitations. He says to his friend:

1. If I hadn't stopped working out at the gym a year ago, I [could have lifted]/[could lift] 200 kilos at the competition next week.

2. If I hadn't stopped working out at the gym a year ago and were still as strong as I was back then, I [could have lifted]/[could lift] 200 kilos at the competition next week.

If John is going to participate in the upcoming competition and knows that it will be impossible for him to lift 200 kilos, would it be correct for him to use the conditional perfect "could have lifted" or should he still use the conditional simple "could lift" in this context in the two versions I've provided?

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back