I changed my mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we are upset with someone and thus don't say [STRIKE]anymore[/STRIKE] any more, can we use your sentence?

See above. I actually preferred the original "don't say anything else".

I know "anymore" is a word but it's not the right choice here.

Last edited:
In the corrected sentence, any is (I think) an adverb modifying the adverb more.

Well, I think the "more" in that sentence is the object of the verb "say" and therefore it's a pronoun. The "any" is a determiner.:)

"I don't say any more" is similar in construction to "Do you want some more?" ー Subject + Verb + Object.

I forgot to say that I'm not a grammarian.
:)
(So, please forgive me if I'm wrong.)

'Any more' itself is an adverb according to the second link in post #25 above.
Scroll down to 'Any more as an adverb' there.

I am not a teacher/native speaker/grammarian, so please forgive me if I am wrong.

I forgot to say that I'm not a grammarian.
But you have at least as good credentials as the many eighteenth- and nineteenth-century grammarians who foisted so many poorly-conceived and just plain wrong rules on generations of English learners. I value your opinion, anyway. :)

'Say' is transitive there, so 'any more' can't be an adverb.
I think that's why 'anymore' as an adverb is not suitable.

'Any more' itself is an adverb according to the second link in post #25 above.
Scroll down to 'Any more as an adverb' there.

I am not a teacher/native speaker/grammarian, so please forgive me if I am wrong.

OK, I'll try to explain it to you.

First, as for your second link, I agree with what Cambridge dictionary says there - the "any more"s in those example sentences are all adverbial. I have no objection to it.

In your first link, there's an example sentence:
She refused to listen any more. (adverb)

Now, please look at this dictionary. It says:
I'm not going to listen to any more of your lies. (pronoun)

So, the phrase "any more" is not necessarily adverbial.

I hope you'll understand what I mean.

:)

Last edited:
In the sentence in question, I took the end of "I was upset and decided not to say any more" to mean "any more words".
In a sentence like "I'm not talking to you anymore", it means "any longer".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back