"I am through with my interview" or "I am through with my exams".

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What exactly does "I am through" mean? Does it mean I have cleared something? Like "I am through with my interview" or "I am through with my exams".

Like "I am through with my interview" or "I am through with my exams".
You have finished the interview, or you have finished the exams. You could also say, "I'm through with you!" to indicate the relationship (with someone) is over and done for.

We don't say "I have cleared something".
What should I say then? Do we say "I have passed the interview" or "I have passed my exams"?

We don't say "I have cleared something".
What should I say then? Do we say "I have passed the interview" or "I have passed my exams"?

You have finished the interview, or you have finished the exams. You could also say, "I'm through with you!" to indicate the relationship (with someone) is over and done for.
Okay, so it doesn't mean to pass anything like exams or interview. It simply means something is over.

You can say both of those if you were successful at both. If you simply mean that they're over, say "My interview's/exam's finished/over"
Okay, so it doesn't mean to pass anything like exams an exam or an interview. It simply means something is over.
"I am through with ..." has two meanings. One is that the thing is over/finished. The other is that you've had enough of something or someone and you are bringing it to an end.

I have never heard of passing an interview before. I do know there is an American expression "I aced the interview" meaning the person thinks he/she did very well.

I have never heard of passing an interview before. I do know there is an American expression "I aced the interview" meaning the person thinks he/she did very well.
I associate it with interviews that have several stages. I might say, for example, that I'd passed the first interview and was waiting for a date for the next one.

Back