Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
John, Peter, Rick, and some other colleagues from the office had agreed in person to meet at 4:00 pm to discuss business matters. However, John sent everyone an email informing them that he had rescheduled the meeting to 3:00 pm. Peter, who hadn't received John's email, informed Rick that he had to leave but assured him he would be back in time for the meeting at 4:00 pm. Rick then informed Peter that the meeting had been rescheduled and that he should return before 3:00 pm. Later, during lunch, Rick spoke with John and, among other things, mentioned:

Peter didn't receive your email. He didn't know that the meeting had been rescheduled. If I hadn't told him, he [would be unlikely to]/[wouldn't] join us when it starts at 3:00 pm.

Can either option be used in the mixed conditional that I wrote? I also wonder if the blue tenses "hadn't told" and "starts" work in this context.

If I hadn't told him, he wouldn't have been able to join us at 3pm.
If I hadn't told him, he wouldn't be joining us at 3pm.

If I hadn't told him, he wouldn't have been able to join us at 3pm.
Would this option be more, or less possible?

If I hadn't told him, he wouldn't be able to join us at 3pm.

Would this option be more, or less possible?

If I hadn't told him, he wouldn't be able to join us at 3pm.
There's no such thing as "more or less possible". Something's either possible or it's not.

Your sentence is OK.

I think emsr2d2's first version using the third conditional is more natural for an action that didn't happen.

Last edited:

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back