He is having the ability to think of new projects ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eshaan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"He is having the ability to think of new projects or new ways of doing things and make them successful"
In this sentence, infinitive phrase works as a adjective phrase describing the noun 'the ability' or else.
Could you break down it and how does it function in the sentence?

Please tells us the source and author of any sentence you ask us about.

I was reading about Infinitive, that time I made this sentence. I put it here to understand its function in the sentence.

I was reading about Infinitives. I wrote this sentence then posted it here to get help understanding it.

Although it doesn't make much sense, that's my interpretation of what you are saying.

First of all, say He has, not He is having.

For the sake of clarity, let's simplify your sentence:

He has the ability to think of new ways of doing things.

The blue part specifies the exact nature of the ability. If you remove the blue part, the meaning of the noun phrase (and indeed the whole sentence) is incomplete.

He has the ability to think of new ways of doing things.
Then, the blue part of the sentence is a adjective infinitive phrase describing the noun' the ability' . Isn't it?

Although it doesn't make much sense, that's my interpretation of what you are saying.
Yes, if you help me to understand it then it will be great.

Then, the blue part of the sentence is a adjective infinitive phrase describing the noun' the ability' . Isn't it?

No, it isn't an adjective phrase or a modifier. It's an infinitival complement.

@Eshaan I have improved your thread title. Use some/all of the words/phrases you are asking us about as your title. The subject or theme of your question, along with your actual question, should appear only in the main body of your post.

No, it isn't an adjective phrase or a modifier. It's an infinitival complement.
We read four complement 1.object 2.subject 3. adjective 4. adverbial. What complement is it?

Is this your homework, Eshaan? When do you have to submit this to your tutor?

Is this your homework, Eshaan? When do you have to submit this to your tutor?
:).
Teacher has said this well but, I didn't attend this class because of family get-together. Teacher said this was your punishment to know it by yourself. So, to know this I read whole complement section several time. However, I don't yet get it.
As you are a teacher you know that how it is important to know, because when I am reading books at that time I am getting problem.
Now I am waiting for you, Sir. Please!

Last edited:
My teacher has said this well but no comma here I didn't attend this class because of a family get-together.
I don't understand the underlined part.

My teacher said "This was is your punishment. You have to know learn it by yourself. So, to know this learn/study it, I read the whole complement section several times, yet I still don't get it.
Are you talking about the chapter of a text book that deals with complements?
As you are a teacher, you know that how it is important to know understand this [grammar point] no comma here because, when I am reading books, at that time I am getting have a problem with this area of grammar.

Now I am waiting for you to help me. , Sir. Please!

1. My teacher has taught us complement well.
2.Yes.

1. My teacher has taught us about complements well.
2. space here Yes.
How do you know your teacher taught that class well? You said you didn't go to that class because of a family gathering.

The answer to your question is in post #8.

Next class I have two class in a week, my friends said me it and sir said that "don't help me"

Yes, if you help me to understand it then it will be great.
You said you didn't understand your own sentence. You need to write sentences you understand. You can't expect others to figure them out for you.

For starters, simplify. Write shorter, simpler sentences. Don't overcomplicate things!

Next class I have two class in a week, my friends said me it and sir said that "don't help me"
I don't understand any of your post. Please try to explain it in a different way.

For starters, that should be two sentences. Perhaps:

Next week I have two classes. My friends said our teacher told them not to help me.

(I am only 50% sure.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back