have something printed

headed: having the name and address of a person, an organization, etc. printed at the top

Source: https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/headed?q=Headed

Could "printed at the top" be seen as a reduced relative clause?
I agree with 5jj that "printed at the top" is not a reduced relative clause in that construction. The phrase "printed at the top" does not specify a particular type of name and address, as it would if it were a reduced relative clause there.

A headed document has the sender's name and address printed at the top of it.

This construction is labeled "The have-existential device" in the big 1985 grammar, A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language (pp. 1411-1412). As the authors point out, it is somewhat similar to the existential "there" construction:

There are a name and an address printed at the top of a headed document.

However, with the have-existential device, the subject is not a dummy element (there), and the subject is represented as an affected thing. A headed document has the sender's name and address such that they are printed at the top of the document.

This construction is labeled "The have-existential device" in the big 1985 grammar, A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language (pp. 1411-1412). As the authors point out, it is somewhat similar to the existential "there" construction:

However, with the have-existential device, the subject is not a dummy element (there), and the subject is represented as an affected thing. A headed document has the sender's name and address such that they are printed at the top of the document.

Is the red part a reduced relative clause?

No -- not as I analyze such sentences. I analyze existential-"there" sentences as derived constructions.

derives from the following, more basic sentence, which does not have a dummy subject:

A name and an address are printed at the top of a headed document.

That said, I do not deny that it is possible to say, rather wordily but with little (apparent) difference in meaning:

There are a name and an address which are printed at the top of a headed document.

... having the name and address of a person, an organization, etc. printed at the top

Printed at the top is part of the structure [have + noun phrase + participle], so it's not a reduced clause. The boldfaced phrase is similar to an object complement.
Yes, as it adjectively modifies "a name and an address".

I agree with 5jj that "printed at the top" is not a reduced relative clause in that construction. The phrase "printed at the top" does not specify a particular type of name and address, as it would if it were a reduced relative clause there.

A headed document has the sender's name and address printed at the top of it.

1. Does "big" mean "large" or does it mean "important"?

No -- not as I analyze such sentences. I analyze existential-"there" sentences as derived constructions.

derives from the following, more basic sentence, which does not have a dummy subject:

A name and an address are printed at the top of a headed document.

That said, I do not deny that it is possible to say, rather wordily but with little (apparent) difference in meaning:

There are a name and an address which are printed at the top of a headed document.

2. What does "not as" mean? What words are implied before "not as"?

There are numerous islands surrounding Antarctica, most of which are volcanic and very young by geological standards.

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctica

3. Does the bold part derive from "numerius islands are surrounding Antarctica"? This sounds odd to me.
It would seem to me that the "surrounding Antarctica" part have to be a reduced relative clause

Last edited:

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back