Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
When answering the question "What was in the news over the past few days?" Should I use present perfect or past simple? "Morocco has become/became the first African country in the semi-finals of the football world cup, the scandalous series with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were released/have been released."
Both events already happened but they were recent and are connected to the present moment. Or perhaps I am wrong.

"Series" is singular so it would require the third person singular.

Morocco became the first African country ..., and the scandalous series about Harry and Meghan was released.

"Series" is singular so it would require the third person singular.

Morocco became the first African country ..., and the scandalous series about Harry and Meghan was released.
Could you tell me if the rest of the sentences is correct?

When answering the question "What was in the news over the past few days?" Should I use present perfect or past simple?
When answering the question "What was in the news over the past few days?", should I use [the] present perfect or [the] past simple?

Both events already happened but they were recent and are connected to the present moment.
Both events have already happened but ...

When answering the question "What was in the news over the past few days?", should I use [the] present perfect or [the] past simple?

Both events have already happened but ...
OK. Thanks. I mean in this sentence "Morocco became the first African country in the semi-finals of the football world cup" is "football" necessary or should it be just "world cup" and capitalised?

"Morocco became the first African country in the semi-finals of the football world cup"
Morocco became the first African country to reach the semi-finals of the football World Cup. ("The FIFA World Cup" if you want to use the official name.)
You could replace "reach" with "get to" for a more casual option.

If the context is clear, you could just say "the World Cup".

Yes, I'd capitalise "World Cup".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back