Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
'As' is used to express the reason or cause. So, it has a similar meaning to 'because, since.'

Source: https://langeek.co/en/grammar/course/767/as

Does "a" suggest that there are other meanings or does it suggest that there are other similar meanings?

Last edited by a moderator:
The word "meaning" in the above is a countable singular noun. Thus, it needs a determiner (in this case, it's the indefinite article "a").
The sentence is just saying that the meaning of "as" is similar to "since" or "because".
-----------

Warning: The English used on that website is not great.

Does "It has a similar meaning to 'because, since" mean that it has the similar meaning to 'because, since' and that it may also has another similar meaning?

Are you asking what indefinites articles do?

They make it clear that the following noun is one individual thing. In this case, the 'one thing' is the particular meaning of the word 'as' in its use to express a cause.

Is the reason "a" is used before "different meaning" because it may have another similar meaning in addition to the similar meaning to "because, since'?

Last edited:
Does the "a" in "a similar meaning" indicate that it has just another meaning in addition to the similar meaning to "because, since'?

No. It indicates that this is one individual meaning in a world of other meanings.

I have a cat.

My cat is one individual thing in a world where other cats also exist.

The adjective "clever" is causing a problem here.

I have a clever cat.
1. My clever cat is one individual clever cat in a world where other clever cats also exist.
2. My clever cat is one individual clever cat in a world where other cats also exist.

Which is correct?

• He occupies an office on the sixth floor of Herter Hall a building that resembles a modern bureaucratic fortress.
Source: https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/834013810/

Does "an" imply that there is another office on the sixth floor?
Not necessarily so. His office could be the only one, or one of many offices on that floor, or in the whole building, or in the locality. It just means "one of many others".

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back