gerund

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ich [gehe] nach Hause.
I [am going] (to) home.

'to' is an obligatorily ellipted preposition.

to home = where? = adverbial prepositional phrase
home = noun

to swimming = adverbial
swimming = noun --> gerund

1. Yes, but only rarely. In fact an '-ing -ing' combination is generally considered unacceptable whatever the grammatical status of the words in question.

Needless to say, 'going swimming' (etc.) is also an accepted phrase-type, whether it represents the sequence [participle+gerund] as in

I'm going swimming next week.

or [gerund+gerund] as in

Going swimming is my favorite way to get fit.

Last edited:
Needless to say, 'going swimming (etc.)' is also an accepted phrase-type, whether it represents the sequence [participle+gerund] as in

I'm going swimming next week.

or [gerund+gerund] as in

Going swimming is my favorite way to get fit.

Hybrid verbals are killing students. I see your point and I thank you for sharing it.

What does ESL instructor mean?

It is a term that will vary considerably from system to system, according to the means and resources available.

Given his/her eagerness to learn and improve, this question might appear, in a very harsh and, doubtless, unfair light, to be treading towards the territory inhabited by the curmudgeon. ;-)

That 'we never studied grammar' plus 'an ESL instructor' parts I could not really reconcile. I still do not think that is is a tactless comment. ;-) Sorry, Indonesia, if my question aroused bad feelings in you. Hands on heart there was no sting in it.

No, no, no Mr. Kondorosi, I wasn't offended by your comments. I was merely stating a well known fact that (most) native speakers don't appear to learn grammar at school. It is just accepted that we can speak the language, but I was never taught why we use certain words/phrases/clauses for various situations. Kind of strange really (in a perculiar way). My comments were all meant in a tongue in cheek way.:cool:

I must admit I get great enjoyment reading the comments of you and other knowledgeable members of the forum, and everyday I learn something new. (But as they say, 'You can't teach an old dog new tricks!' :-?)

As a comment on why I put ESL 'instructor' whereas most people may have used the word 'teacher', I personally don't think it's fair to call myself a teacher with just a TEFL qualification in hand, Hence I opted for instruct.

No, no, no Mr. Kondorosi, I wasn't offended by your comments.

Can you hear the sigh of relief I have just heaved.

I was merely stating a well known fact that (most) native speakers don't appear to learn grammar at school. It is just accepted that we can speak the language, but I was never taught why we use certain words/phrases/clauses for various situations. Kind of strange really.

Not half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back