[Vocabulary] Garbage / litter / trash / refuse etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

euromike

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Which should I use in the following situations? I'm in the UK, so this is a question mainly about BrE usage, although if some AmE experts would like to reply, that would also be helpful!

(1) plastic bin under my kitchen sink - what do I call stuff that goes in it, and what do I call that bin?
(2) bin next to my desk in the office - mostly for paper - same question as (1)?
(3) large bin for all residents of the building, into which (1) gets emptied every few days?
(4) bins in the street, for tourists/shoppers/etc to throw their newspapers, empty sandwich boxes etc in?

thank you all for replies

Which should I use in the following situations? I'm in the UK, so this is a question mainly about BrE usage, although if some AmE experts would like to reply, that would also be helpful!

(1) plastic bin under my kitchen sink - what do I call stuff that goes in it, and what do I call that bin? Rubbish/rubbish bin.
(2) bin next to my desk in the office - mostly for paper - same question as (1)? Waste paper/waste paper basket.
(3) large bin for all residents of the building, into which (1) gets emptied every few days? Rubbish/communal rubbish bin.
(4) bins in the street, for tourists/shoppers/etc to throw their newspapers, empty sandwich boxes etc in? Litter/litter bin.

thank you all for replies

In the UK you most probably have a recycling bin as well.

thanks, this is interesting. So "rubbish" is just for stuff I discard in my house, but the moment I take the same empty bottle and put it in a bin in the street it becomes "litter"?

Is "trash" only American?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back