Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
any change in your mood since yesterday?

or

any change in your mood from yesterday?

which one is better and why?

or

They are equally good.

I'm not a teacher, but i think that the better one is "since yesterday". We use since + the beginning of a period /from the past to now/. We can use "from" for periods of time, like from 1856 to 1920
Sorry if i'm wrong. :)

I'm not a teacher, but i think that the better one is "since yesterday". We use since + the beginning of a period /from the past to now/. We can use "from" for periods of time, like from 1856 to 1920
Sorry if i'm wrong. :)

Hi, Shmi!:-D
I agree with you.

First of all, there are no verbs at all in these sentences below, and they are 'tenseless' :

a. any change in your mood since yesterday?
b. any change in your mood from yesterday?

I think the complete sentence would be...

'Has there been any change in your mood since yesterday?'

However... b. is possible if it is 'understood' like this:

'(Has there been) any change in your mood from yesterday (up until now)?'

So...the information in the parentheses is 'understood' here, which I think is why 2006 said both are equally good.

I'm not a native speaker of English, so please forgive me if I'm wrong.:oops:

A native speaker might say, "Any change in your mood since yesterday?", with the words, "Has there been..", as tzfujimino says, 'understood'.

'has there been", Present Perfect tense, indicates a period of time from some moment in the past, till now. The preposition that fits with this is 'since'.

The 'understood' verb form of Present Perfect introduces the idea of a time period - from then to now. 'from' refers to the actual 'change' in mood, asking if the mood is 'different'. You may well find people saying, "Any change in your mood from yesterday?", but be assured, your best choice is "Any change in your mood since yesterday?".

Last edited:
You may well find people saying, "Any change in your mood from yesterday?", but be assured, your best choice is "Any change in your mood since yesterday?".
I disagree! This question doesn't necessarily have anything to do with perfect tense.
[Is there] any change in your mood (since)(from)yesterday?

I disagree! This question doesn't necessarily have anything to do with perfect tense.
[Is there] any change in your mood (since)(from)yesterday?

Yes but "since" is still better than "from".:)

1. change since X
2. change from X

I would say that #1 focuses on the temporal aspect, and #2 on the metamorphic aspect.

MrP

or

2006;-):lol: I agree to all you said to the others. :cool:

Furthermore in the sentence
Is there any change in your mood from yesterday?

from is far better then since!
the period from yesterday to now is stepped over actually. We are not interested in the period from yesterday to now. We compare yesterday's mood to the mood at this moment of asking the question.

his mood was from yesterday and not from the time period since yesterday to now.

How about your mood since yesterday to now?
How about your mood from yesterday to now?
This is a different period of time in which we are interested in his mood.
Have you been changing your mood since yesterday? (during that period)
Completely different question. he should write down a diagram which shows his mood clearly.:roll::lol:

Finally

What about your mood?
(now, only!) I'm not interested about your mood in the past at all

P.S.

I worked from 7AM to now.
I started at 7AM. I have worked since.

a learner from bosnia

Last edited:
Why is it better? Maybe it's just what you are more used to.

Yes. I'm used to people speaking correctly. Perhaps it comes from 37 years in hospitals and clinics, when symptom change is enquired about temporally: "Has there been any change since..." since improvement/deterioration occurs over time.

Last edited:
1. change since X
2. change from X

I would say that #1 focuses on the temporal aspect, and #2 on the metamorphic aspect.

MrP
I understand what you are saying, and David seems to have suggested that as well. I was going to also mention that in my last post, but I was short of time.

'Is there a change in your mood since yesterday?' could be considered to be emphasizing the time interval.

'Is there a change in your mood from yesterday?' could be considered to be emphasizing the mood change.

But I wouldn't want to overemphasize the above, because as e2e4 suggests "from" can also be used to note the initial point in a time interval. In other words, "from" can essentially be a synonym of "since".

Why is it better? Maybe it's just what you are more used to.

Yes. I'm used to people speaking correctly. Perhaps it comes from 37 years in hospitals and clinics, when symptom change is enquired about temporally: "Has there been any change since..."
Well isn't that interesting! I have been hanging around hospitals for approximately as long as you have, and symptom change is enquired about by asking "(Is there)(Has there been) any change (since)(from).........?"

Hey guys this has become mathematical problem.;-)

First case

Has there been any change since yesterday? (excluding yesterday)
Has there been any change from yesterday? (including yesterday?)
since is not exactly equal from

~~~~~~~~since~~~~~~ now
from~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ now

Second case

Is there any change from yesterday?

Does from only takes place inside yesterday and not after the end of it or can take place in the infinitesimally short time between yesterday and the time period?

Is there any change since yesterday? :?:

since can not take place inside yesterday. Time interval in which since works starts in the inifinitesimally short period of time after the end of yesterday but tied to yesterday. The meaning isn't the same to me.;-)

I started to work last week (yesterday). I have worked since.:roll:

Your mood from yesterday to now has changed three times!

Your mood from yesterday was good. = Your yesterday's mood was ok to me. (during yesterday)

Your mood since yesterday was good. not equal to Your yesterday's mood was ok. (time interval since yesterday to now)

Till these forms

Has there been any change in your mood since yesterday? or
Is there any change in your mood from yesterday?

are supposed to be used but with different meaning, I agree to 2006's last sentence from his last post.:cool:

Last edited:
Well isn't that interesting! I have been hanging around hospitals for approximately as long as you have, and symptom change is enquired about by asking "(Is there)(Has there been) any change (since)(from).........?"
Yeah, me too.
But I'm sure the doctor is not just interested in the patient's mood now compared to the same time yesterday. He wants to know about the manic episode in the nightclubs last night followed by the patient's leap from a bridge, and his subsequent improvement after ECT this morning to leave him in the same condition as yesterday. He will therefore use the appropriate word in his/the patient's dialect that would elicit this information.
(I'd say since)

Is there a doctor in the house?

(I'll know which thread to visit, when I next have one of those odd little twinges after lunch.)

Do those twinges appear due to problems with the gal or what? :roll:

by the way, any changes latelly?

Yes I have.
But I'm not sure only the gal is responsible.
There are some other internal organs there which participate in the digestive system.
But I also have another problem in the right and mostly top part of my head in which I fell some pins and needles from time to time but also some kind of pain all the time from February to now.
I am not sure whether it is due to the fact that I lost about 14kg in the time of 18 months (that has happened by my will, just to reduce the pain under my right ribs and close to the gal but in the back side. The pain increased a lot from time to time but striking up to the right square-shouldered bone) or it is in connection with some problems related to the part of my back bone which is placed in the back of the neck. Some of the back spinal bones could be dislocated a bit at their joint points. So the spinal cord is probably pressed a bit but in the way it shouldn't.
The part of the pain in the head could also be caused by the problems with the eyes. It could be in relation with too much of looking at the screen from the short distance but per day and during the 8 last months. :roll:
More pain I put into my head when I had a bath during not a strong last winter after what I took the road, for about a kilometre but on my small motor bike.
But might all the problems have started after I had used some total herbicide to clean up my mountain place of the unwanted weeds and in the period from 4 years ago to two years ago. (since wouldn't work here I think)

Yes I have.
But I'm not sure only the gal is responsible. [ ... ]

But I'm not sure only the gal (gall/gall bladder) is responsible. (A gal is a girl)
all the time from February to now. since February.
(that has happened by my will (voluntarily) , just to reduce the pain under my right ribs and close to the gal (gall bladder) but in the back side.
Have you had an ultrasound?
the right square-shouldered bone) shoulder blade? shoulder tip?
the part of my back bone which is placed in the back of the neck. cervical spine
More pain I put into my head when I had a bath during not a strong [?] last winter. during a mild winter?

Have you seen a doctor? Some of your problems sound quite fixable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back