Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
My question concerns the usage of the apostrophe.

As far as I know, it's correct to say 'Frankfurt airport'.

Why is it wrong to say 'Frankfurt's airport' since the airport belongs to the city of Frankfurt (the airport is located in Frankfurt)?

E.g. Yesterday my plane landed at Frankfurt airport and then my friend picked us up near the and brought to his house in Karlsruhe

My question concerns the usage of the apostrophe.

As far as I know, it's correct to say 'Frankfurt Airport'.

Why is it wrong to say 'Frankfurt's airport' since the airport belongs to the city of Frankfurt (the airport is located in Frankfurt)?

E.g. "Yesterday, my plane landed at Frankfurt Airport, and then my friend picked us up near the missing word here and brought took us to his house in Karlsruhe."
Note my corrections and comments above.

The official name (in English) is "Frankfurt Airport", with both words capitalised. Whilst it is, indeed, "Frankfurt's airport" (note that in that case the second word is not capitalised), it's far more natural to use the official name.

The possessive can be used when talking about an airport in a city that has more than one airport. For example, "We landed at New York's Newark Airport ...". This would differentiate it from New York's JFK Airport and La Guardia Airport.

Note my corrections and comments above.

The official name (in English) is "Frankfurt Airport", with both words capitalised. Whilst it is, indeed, "Frankfurt's airport" (note that in that case the second word is not capitalised), it's far more natural to use the official name.

The possessive can be used when talking about an airport in a city that has more than one airport. For example, "We landed at New York's Newark Airport ...". This would differentiate it from New York's JFK Airport and La Guardia Airport.

The missing word is 'terminal'. Sorry for missing it the first time in my post 1.

"Yesterday, my plane landed at Frankfurt Airport, then my friend picked us up near the terminal and took us to his house in Karlsruhe."

Your comment about New York's airports is very clear and lucid.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back