Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Could you please tell me what the last sentence means in the following quote from a Victorian novel?

"Mercy, mercy! I implore you! Oh! do not devote me to so horrible a death! Do not - do not murder me!"
"Hold your noisy tongue, you fool," ejaculated Bill, brutally. "You have heard and seen too much for our safety ; we can't do otherwise."
"No, certainly not," added Dick. "You are now as fly to the fakement as any one of us."

The first speaker is an innocent boy, and the second and third speakers are ruffians. I don't understand the "You are now as fly to the fakement" part. What do "fly" and "fakement" here mean? I appreciate any comments. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome back after your three-year furlough, imchongjun. :-D

Could you please tell me what the last sentence means in the following quote from a Victorian novel?

Please tell us the title and author of the novel.

Last edited:
Thank you for your warm reply.
Though I didn't post a message, I have been checking this site regularly.
The quote is from The Mysteries of London by George W. M. Reynolds (1844).

"Fly to the fakement" appears to be outmoded British slang. In modern American slang it could be rendered as "in on the scam."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back