English in movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many do, in informal conversation. Indeed, in some dialects, it would be considered natural in speech.

Initially I was worried about making mistakes but after seeing the replies I don't anymore.

Initially I was worried about making mistakes but after seeing the replies but I don't anymore.
You should. By many people, such forms are considered sub-standard and those who use them are considered uneducated. In all but the most informal writing, they are not acceptable.

You should. By many people, such forms are considered sub-standard and those who use them are considered uneducated. In all but the most informal writing, they are not acceptable.

O.k. I continue worrying about making mistakes.:loling:

Just my opinion, if you are experienced in English, you should otherwise you shouldn't utill you get experienced :).

I dont think worried is the correct adjective that should apply to you in making mistakes. Nor should you be careless with language, though.
You should be aware that people speak in many different ways depending on who they are, what they do and whether they studied and also that there are varieties of English. The posts and examples on how ungrammatical and unconventional language may be and sound should really show you that things are a bit more complicated in real life than they look like in grammar books ( I know that books may already make things look very complicated!!!).
With time and practice you'll learn to know when, how and where you can use some ungrammatical phrases that may be easily shared and accepted by some native speakers (as someone explained very thoroughly in a previous post that is called pragmatics). Be wary of them, though. Some speakers might not share them and will correct you.
Why don't you try and watch some foreign film subtitled in English? You will find that, with some exceptions, the way subtitles translate dialogue is much more similar to what you were expecting at the start.

I dont think worried is the correct adjective that should apply to you in making mistakes. Nor should you be careless with language, though.
You should be aware that people speak in many different ways depending on who they are, what they do and whether they studied and also that there are varieties of English. The posts and examples on how ungrammatical and unconventional language may be and sound should really show you that things are a bit more complicated in real life than they look like in grammar books ( I know that books may already make things look very complicated!!!).

I am always confused about grammatically correct and natural. If a person understands what they other conveys(of course without any grammatical error) then it is enough,In my opinion.

Hm.. I thought he was Gipsy (or whatever it is called in case you find it somehow offensive).

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

I think that nowadays the nice term is Roma.

:up:
Priceless!!!

Awesome! :up:

How do you think where are these guys from? Are they Scottish?
Sir Alex Ferguson speaks pretty much the same, to my unaccustomed ear. Do you think so?
I recognize it is a comedy sketch, but does their accent seem natural or it is more artificial?

Thanks, Alex.

Awesome! :up:

How do you think where are these guys from? Are they Scottish?
Sir Alex Ferguson speaks pretty much the same, to my unaccustomed ear. Do you think so?
I recognize it is a comedy sketch, but does their accent seem natural or it is more artificial?

Thanks, Alex.

It's a Scottish comedy show produced by/for BBC Scotland. The two actors are certainly Scottish. Both have very natural Scottish accents. I couldn't tell you which part of Scotland either of them is from but I'm pretty sure neither of them is from Edinburgh.
Edit: I've just looked it up. One of them is from Glasgow.

As a Brit (an English Brit, I should say), I had no trouble understanding them.

Just wanted to point out that "ungrammatical" language is sometimes used for effect, even by distinguished speakers like Presidents and Senators. This is a conscious choice, not a result of being ill educated.

For example, Ronald Reagan used "You ain't seen nothin' yet" as a rallying call to end his speeches when he was running for re-election in 1984.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back