emptying villages or towns

You use "and". He came into the room and he sat down. They are still SVO. In my sentences, I didn't use "and".
Are you sure you understand the definition of a sentence? It's a string of words that starts with a capital letter and it ends only when you reach the closing punctuation mark. It doesn't matter how many times "and" appears.

Are both of them are the main verb?
Before you get tangled up with analysing sentences, perhaps you should concentrate on the basics of written English. We don't construct a question by writing an affirmative statement and then adding a question mark.

So, does anyone know whether this part is a participle? "..., emptying.."?
Yes, it is, though I use the term -ing form.
When this word is used "ing", I'm not sure about the tense of "emptying"?
-ing forms are not finite parts of the verb. They do not show tense.

-ing forms are not finite parts of the verb. They do not show tense.
If they don’t show tense, how do I know what tense it is? Is it based on other part of the sentence? The sentence used the present perfect tense so why doesn’t it say “…, having emptied”?

The use of "have migrated" and "have been shrinking" tell you when.

Are you sure you understand the definition of a sentence? It's a string of words that starts with a capital letter and it ends only when you reach the closing punctuation mark. It doesn't matter how many times "and" appears.
I understand it is a sentence. Therefore, I said they are still SVO. The sentence is not "SVVO" or "SVOV".

I understand it is what a sentence is. Therefore, I said they* are still SVO. The sentence** is not "SVVO" or "SVOV".
*What does "they" refer to?
** Which sentence does "the sentence" refer to?

Would you find the following sentence easier to understand?

He hit the ball very hard, smashing it into the net.

*What does "they" refer to?
** Which sentence does "the sentence" refer to?

Would you find the following sentence easier to understand?

"It" and "the sentence" refers to "He came into the room and sat down".
"They" refers to "He came into the room and he sat down" and "He came into the room and sat down". They are still in SVO structure, not "SVVO" or "SVOV".
I understood the above sentence.

I wrote a sentence:
A company fired many employees three months ago, causing them to go on a strike.

The above sentence structure appears in news frequently. It's similar to yours but I feel that they are different.

If they don’t show tense, how do I know what tense it is? Is it based on other part of the sentence?
The time of the situation is shown by the tense of the the main verb, and/or other time markers in the sentence
The sentence used the present perfect tense so why doesn’t it say “…, having emptied”?
Because that wold place the act of emptying before the other situation.

Last edited:
They are still in SVO structure, not "SVVO" or "SVOV".
That is irrelevant. You said I was taught only one verb could be placed in a sentence. We have clearly told you that what you were taught was untrue.
A company fired many employees three months ago, causing them to go on a strike.
Delete 'a'.

That is irrelevant. You said I was taught only one verb could be placed in a sentence. We have clearly told you that what you were taught was untrue.
I think I was not clear. What I really wanted to say was “main verb” . That my teachers only said “verb” was probably because we were children so they didn’t want to complicate things. What they meant was SVO.

“As a second language learner, I was taught only one verb could be placed in a sentence. To me, there is two verb in #1A. However, I know it comes from #1 so I understand the main verb is "is".”

I think I was not clear. What I really wanted to say was “main verb” . That my teachers only said “verb” was probably because we were children so they didn’t want to complicate things. What they meant was SVO.

“As a second language learner, I was taught only one verb could be placed in a sentence.
Emsr2d2 and I gave you examples of sentences with more than one main verb.

SVO is not relevant to the number of verbs in a sentence. It is simply one of several possible sentence structures in English; these include:

SV -Subject + Verb
SVO -Subject + Verb + Object
SVC - Subject + Verb + Complement
SVA - Subject + Verb + Adjunct
SVOC -Subject + Verb + Object + Complement
SVOA -Subject + Verb + Object + Adjunct
SVOA - Subject + Verb + Indirect Object + Direct Object

Emsr2d2 and I gave you examples of sentences with more than one main verb.

SVO is not relevant to the number of verbs in a sentence. It is simply one of several possible sentence structures in English; these include:

SV -Subject + Verb
The main point for my teachers is that we don’t say something like “I jump talk in the room”.

The main point for my teachers is that we don’t say something like “I jump talk in the room”.
No one suggested that that would be a grammatical sentence. Of course it would need to be "I jump and talk in the room" (a rather unlikely sentence, for which I can think of no suitable context).
You need to forget the idea that there can be only one verb in a sentence. That's nonsense.

No one suggested that that would be a grammatical sentence. Of course it would need to be "I jump and talk in the room" (a rather unlikely sentence, for which I can think of no suitable context).
You need to forget the idea that there can be only one verb in a sentence. That's nonsense.
That is ungrammatical so teachers asked students not to write that kind of sentence. Some students would also write something like “I like read books.”
Is it correct to say that only one verb is allowed in a simple sentence? How would you explain “I like read books” is ungrammatical to students?

Last edited:

SV -Subject + Verb
If I say “I cooked and listened to music”, which of the above structure should the sentence belong to?
My teachers used SVO to teach us simple sentences. As you listed, all of them only have one V. I guess that’s why they said only one verb.

If I say “I cooked and listened to music”, which of the above structureS DOES the sentence belong to?
My teachers used SVO to teach us simple sentences. As you listed, all of them only have one V. I guess that’s why they said only one verb.
If I was teaching somebody English starting at the basic level I might teach them something like S-V-O to start with. I don't know, but maybe you misremember what your teachers told you. Sentences with more than one verb are in fact quite common. (See below.)

I walked outside and I saw a snake in the grass.

While I was walking home it rained, and I got wet.

I walked and walked and walked.

The last one can apply to many action verbs. It simply means the person did that (whatever that is) quite a bit.

If I was teaching somebody English starting at the basic level I might teach them something like S-V-O to start with. I don't know, but maybe you misremember what your teachers told you. Sentences with more than one verb are in fact quite common. (See below.)

I walked outside and I saw a snake in the grass.

While I was walking home it rained, and I got wet.

I walked and walked and walked.

The last one can apply to many action verbs. It simply means the person did that (whatever that is) quite a bit.
I don’t know if I misremember, maybe. I think “one verb" only applies to a simple sentence. Your sentences are compound sentences.

That’s how I was taught:

I love read books. (x)
It became SVVO.
There are two verbs. Not correct.
We need to change the verb “read”.

I should say:

I love to read books.

Or

I love reading books.

Last edited:
If I say “I cooked and listened to music”, which of the above structure should the sentence belong to?
There are two clauses joined by the conjunction 'and'. The first clause is SV, the second SVO.

Back