Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Kuwait
Current Location
Kuwait
Hello,

What does "I could eat him/her with a spoon mean"?

I've seen it in a film, where a lady sees a cute kid, they she says:
"Oh, I could eat him with a spoon".

I know it might mean that she thinks this child is cute, but I could not find this expression in the dictionary.

Thanks.

You're right. We eat desserts with a spoon and desserts are sweet. The child was sweet too.

I've seen it in a film, where a lady sees a cute kid, they she says:
"Oh, I could eat him with a spoon".

I know it might mean that she thinks this child is cute, but I could not find this expression in the dictionary.

Thanks.
It's not a common expression. In fact, it could have been made up by the writer of the film. I don't think it implies that the woman is a paedophage.

It is current American slang. People of my age are unwise to pronounce on the meaning of such new slang, but the masculine form of the phrase is defined in urbandictionary.com. It seems to indicate that the speaker finds "him" extremely attractive. A google search for Eat Him With a Spoon provides a number of explanatory hits.

Last edited:
It COULD be used by one adult of another to refer to being physically attracted to the other, but if one says it of a child, it just means you find the child cute/sweet in a childlike, appealing way, not a sexual one.

Thanks a lot. :)

It COULD be used by one adult of another to refer to being physically attracted to the other, but if one says it of a child, it just means you find the child cute/sweet in a childlike, appealing way, not a sexual one.

Here in Poland, there's a TV presenter who was described by his boss this way:
People could eat him with a spoon.

She kind of meant to say that, since he's been regularly appearing on television for such a long time and successfully made himself a big name in the world of the media, people would definitely love to see him more and more on TV. How wrong she was about that! After a fifth episode of the show, it was taken off the air after it turned out to be a total disaster. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back