Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"In a press conference, dedicated to the current economic situation, participated representatives of the mass media,(here I need to say that they discussed further ways of development)." Could I say "....., further ways of development being discussed"?

No.

The original sentence is clumsy. It would be better as: In a press conference dedicated to the current economic situation, representatives of the mass media participated.

Even better: Representatives of the mass media participated in a press conference dedicated to the current economic situation.

It seems unnecessary to say this, however. Press conferences are set up for the participation of representatives of the mass media.

No.

The original sentence is clumsy. It would be better as: In a press conference dedicated to the current economic situation, representatives of the mass media participated.

Even better: Representatives of the mass media participated in a press conference dedicated to the current economic situation.

It seems unnecessary to say this, however. Press conferences are set up for the participation of representatives of the mass media.

The representatives of the mass media were a participating party not just doing the coverage.

1)"In a press conference dedicated to the current economic situation, representatives of the mass media participated, (here I need to say that they discussed further ways of development)." How would you add the part in brackets without making it a separate question?

2)"In a press conference dedicated to the current economic situation, representatives of the mass media participated,discussing further ways of devlopment.? I need to convey a meaning that they didn't just talk but came to a conclusion through talking.

Last edited:
The press conference, dedicated to the current economic situation, saw representatives of the mass media discuss further ways of economic development.

The representatives of the mass media were a participating party not just doing the coverage.

1)"In a press conference dedicated to the current economic situation, representatives of the mass media participated, (here I need to say that they discussed further ways of development)." How would you add the part in brackets without making it a separate question?

2)"In a press conference dedicated to the current economic situation, representatives of the mass media participated,discussing further ways of devlopment.? I need to convey a meaning that they didn't just talk but came to a conclusion through talking.

REMINDER: NOT A TEACHER

Maybe something like:

In a press conference dedicated to the current economic situation, media

representatives not only asked questions of the participants but also contributed

their own ideas for further economic development.

One thing that makes it difficult for Russian translators to convey an idea like that is that in Russian you can start a sentence with an adverbial modifier of place, followed by a verb and then a subject.

If we don't know anything about the conference, and that's the beginning of a news report, we could probably say:

A press conference dedicated to the current economic situation saw media representatives take part in discussion of further economic development.

Maybe something like:

In a press conference dedicated to the current economic situation, media

representatives not only asked questions of the participants but also contributed

their own ideas for further economic development.

I was trying to translate from Ukrainian into English. I'm supposed to stick to the original sentence as if I was interpreting it simultaneously without chaging it. Any ways to say it without changing it?

One thing that makes it difficult for Russian translators to convey an idea like that is that in Russian you can start a sentence with an adverbial modifier of place, followed by a verb and then a subject.

If we don't know anything about the conference, and that's the beginning of a news report, we could probably say:

A press conference dedicated to the current economic situation saw media representatives take part in discussion of further economic development.

I'm going to translate it from Ukrainian into Russian.

"В конференции, посвященной економической ситуации, взяли участие преставители средств массовой тнформаци, обговорив пути дальнейшего развития государства."

As I've already said I'm supposed to stick to the original sentence as if I was translating it simultaneously.

I was trying to translate from Ukrainian into English. I'm supposed to stick to the original sentence as if I was interpreting it simultaneously without chaging it. Any ways to say it without changing it?

(1) Please excuse my ignorance, but are there some similarities between Ukrainian

and Russian?

(2) If there are, I am sure that Teacher Bennevis would be the one more qualified than

I to answer your great question.

(3) If you were an interpreter at the United Nations and your president were

speaking in Ukrainian, you would be expected to translate into English without

any big changes in wording, etc. Yes, I now understand the difficulty of your task!

I'm going to translate it from Ukrainian into Russian.

"В конференции, посвященной економической ситуации, взяли участие преставители средств массовой тнформаци, обговорив пути дальнейшего развития государства."

As I've already said I'm supposed to stick to the original sentence as if I was translating it simultaneously.

I got it. The best I can suggest for you is the version above, which is:

I got it. The best I can suggest for you is the version above, which is:

If you were interpreting simultameously and weren't allowed to make significant changes in wording, how would you translate it?

If you were interpreting simultameously and weren't allowed to make significant changes in wording, how would you translate it?
Ostap, someone interpreting simultaneously who was not allowed to make significant changes in wording might translate it fairly literally - and probably into unnatural English.

Bennevis has given a translation which has come out as natural idiomatic English. Why do you want an inferior version?

If I were to interpret simultaneously (which is my goal) at a conference, I would be prepared for such situations. Honestly, my wording wouldn't be that much different from what I've proposed so far.

Ostap, someone interpreting simultaneously who was not allowed to make significant changes in wording might translate it fairly literally - and probably into unnatural English.

Bennevis has given a translation which has come out as natural idiomatic English. Why do you want an inferior version?

I'll stick to your advice and see what "the right answer" is going to be in class tomorrow.

I'll stick to your advice and see what "the right answer" is going to be in class tomorrow.

I would not translate it this way. What would you say to the following sentence? Does it convey the meaning?

"Taking part in the press-conference, dedicated to the current economic situation, were media representatives who discussed further development of the State."

I would not translate it this way. What would you say to the following sentence? Does it convey the meaning?

"Taking part in the press-conference, dedicated to the current economic situation, were media representatives who discussed further development of the State."

Does this sentence start the news report? If it does, you have to find a way to make it sound as such.

Try this:

Media representatives took part in discussion of further economic development today at a press conference dedicated to the current economic situation.

You've got to make it sound in accordance with when it occurs in the news report.

Does this sentence start the news report? If it does, you have to find a way to make it sound as such.

It's just a version of translation of the sentence I wrote in one of the posts in Russian. How would you grade it? Does it convey the meaning?

Last edited:
It's just a version of translation of the sentence I wrote in one of the threads in Russian. How would you grade it? Does it convey the meaning?

Go with my second version. That's how I would do it if I were to translate it simultaneously.

Go with my second version. That's how I would do it if I were to translate it simultaneously.

Would you be saying that it's not natural and sounds weird to your ear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back