Does "Workouts are no antidote" mean "exercise is not an antidote"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewHope

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "Workouts are no antidote" mean "exercise is not an antidote"?

Context:

[h=1]Workouts are no antidote to death by desk job[/h]

MICHAEL JENSEN is talking to me on the phone, but his voice is drowned out by what sounds like a vacuum cleaner. Or maybe it's a lawnmower. I'm used to bad connections, but Jensen isn't using Bluetooth on a busy freeway. He's in his office at one of the US's top medical research facilities.
"I'm sorry," he says when I ask about the noise. "I'm on a treadmill."
I'd had a similar experience earlier with David Dunstan, an Australian researcher who talked to me on his speakerphone as he walked around his office at the Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute in Melbourne.
It's not that Jensen and Dunstan are hyperactive. Rather, both are exercise researchers looking into the link between sitting down and premature death. And what they have found is clearly disturbing enough for them both to make sure they spend ...
To continue reading this article, subscribe to receive access to all of newscientist.com, including 20 years of archive content.

Re: Does "Workouts are no antidote" mean "exercise is not an antidote"?

Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back