Does "to get the door" mean "to open the door". Is the definition new?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Does "to get the door" mean "to open the door". Is the definition new?

Hi everyone.

I asked the same question on this forum around six months ago.

First I would like you to have a look at one of my old threads that I posted last year in September.

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/274345-Get-the-door-and-open-the-door-get-the-door-open

Your answers were very helpful. But now, while I was browsing through the web I came across this definition in an online edition of Merriam-Webster dictionary.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/get%20the%20door

It has made me a little confused. So is it a new definition?

Re: Does "to get the door" mean "to open the door". Is the definition new?

Yes, that's a different meaning.

The phrase get the door sometimes means 'answer the door' and sometimes means 'open the door'.

A common way to offer to open a door (in American English) is Can I get the door for you?

No, it's not new.

A common way to offer to open a door (in American English) is Can I get the door for you?

And if I am not wrong it can either mean open or close, like for instances I am helping an elderly person get out of a car. After he gets out I can say, "I'll get the door for you". Here it means "I'll close the door for you, you don't have to do it".

Am I right?

And if I am not wrong it can either mean open or close, like for instances I am helping an elderly person get out of a car. After he gets out I can say, "I'll get the door for you". Here it means "I'll close the door for you; you don't have to do it".

Am I right?

Yes; you are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back