Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I wrote the sentence.

I can speak English, and I believe I do so with skill/skills.

I don't know which one is better if I want to mean that I can speak English and also I speak it well.

Could learning a foreign language to the point you use it as fluently as a native speaker be called a skill?

Would doing that with multiple languages make you skillful?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to explain why we can do other things skilfully/with skill but not speaking.

Last edited:
I disagree. It's common to talk about speaking skills, especially in the context of foreign languages, so I see no issue in stating that you speak such and such language skillfully.

I can speak English, and I believe I do so with skill/skills.

I don't know which one is better if I want to mean that I can speak English and also I speak it well.

Only 'skill' is possible, but as per above, it's okay in my opinion.

Could learning a foreign language to the point you use it as fluently as a native speaker be called a skill?

Would doing that with multiple languages make you skillful?

It can, and it does, although it need not necessarily even be at that level of fluency to be considered a skill. For example, it's common on resumes to list any foreign languages you speak with some indication of fluency.

See this guide here for examples.

Hi Skrej,

I can speak English, and I believe I do so with skill.

Do you mean this sentence is okay in your opinion?

Speaking is considered a skill no doubt. IELTS tests candidates on their speaking skills. I think "to speak with skill/skilfully (BrE)" is not wrong but an unnatural collocation.

Last edited:
Speaking is considered a skill no doubt. IELTS tests candidates on their speaking skills. I think "to speak with skill/skilfully (BrE)" is not wrong but an unnatural collocation.
I asked some BE speakers and they said the sentence isn't natural, yes. But I still want to listen to Skrej's answer to my question.

I can speak English, and I believe I do so with skill.

Do you mean this sentence is okay in your opinion?

Speaking can be a skill. If you look at certain orators, comedians, poets, and politicians, they easily demonstrate they can skillfully use language.

I'm not sure about learners, though. Is proficiently a better choice than skillfully?

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back