Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

This early morning, I received a devastating news from my friend, my former colleague John dead. A few days ago, I saw him post a story on social media and now he's gone! That's unacceptable. My friend said he was found by his colleague yesterday afternoon, lying still on the bed. She told me after she knew about his death, she had been crying on the way to work. I hope she not to be too sad.

This Early this morning, I received a some devastating news from my a friend - my former colleague John is dead. A few days ago, I saw him post a story he'd posted on social media and now he's gone! That's unacceptable hard to accept. My friend said he John was found by his a colleague yesterday afternoon, lying still on the bed. She told me after she knew about his death hearing the news, she had been crying on the way to work. I hope she's not to be too sad.
See above. "News" is uncountable. You can say "a piece of news" but not "a news". We usually say that we've received "some bad news".
"Unacceptable", although I can see why you used it, isn't appropriate for the situation. It means "not satisfactory/allowed". That's not what you mean. You're talking about your ability to accept that he's died very suddenly.

I would probably say:

This morning I heard some devastating news ....

I wouldn't specify that it was early in the morning. Why? It's just not that important. However, if I did want to use that word I would say, "Early this morning ...."

I would use the word "received" only if I wanted to be highly formal, which I wouldn't do when talking to my diary.

I wouldn't specify that it was early in the morning. Why? It's just not that important. However, if I did want to use that word I would say, "Early this morning ...."
What’s the difference between “Early this morning” and “This early morning”?

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back