Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

The Paris Olympics has started, and I was happy that gymnastics competitions were available on the first day. Among them, I like ribbon gymnastics most because it's kind of between sport and entertainment. Also, it looks less dangerous than other items such as uneven bars.

This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

The Paris Olympics has started, and I was happy that gymnastics competitions were available on the first day. Among them, I like RHYTMIC gymnastics most because it's kind of between sport and entertainment. Also, it looks less dangerous than other iEVENTS such as uneven PARALLEL bars.
I prefer "best" but I suppose "most" is not terrible there

I think you are right. The rhythmic gymnastics is not as dangerous as the other one.

Simone set a new record in the trials.

Why do you use the past tense (I was happy) when games are on today?

Because the first day was in the past when Maybo wrote those words.

The Paris Olympics has started,
Some may prefer a plural verb there "have" since the Olympics is short for the Olympic Games.
Take a look at this:
and I was happy that gymnastics competitions were available (held) on the first day. Among them, I particularly like ribbon gymnastics most because it's kind of between sport and entertainment. Also, it looks less dangerous than other items sports such as the uneven bars.

@Maybo I noticed that Tarheel changed your "ribbon gymnastics" to "rhythmic gymnastics" but I think you were specifically referring to the ribbon discipline within rhythmic gymnastics (there are five disciplines within that sport, which you probably already knew). On that basis, I'd say "Of the four rhythmic gymnastics disciplines, I like the ribbon the most because ...". However, it's odd to then point out that it's less dangerous than the uneven bars because that's part of artistic gymnastics. It would make more sense to explain why you prefer the ribbon to the other disciplines within rhythmic gymnastics (ball, hoop, rope and juggling clubs).

Because the first day was in the past when Maybo wrote those words.
When I wrote the diary, I was still on the first day but the gymnastics games had finished.

@Maybo Was I wrong? Were you only referring to the ribbon event?

Just that one? What about the one with the balls? Isn't it amazing that they can throw that up in the air and catch it without looking? 🙂

When I wrote the diary, IT was still on the first day but the gymnastics EVENTS had finished.
I think that's just the trials. The competitive events come later. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Last edited:
When I wrote the diary, I it was still on the first day but the gymnastics games had finished.
The first day of the Olympics isn't even over yet (yesterday doesn't count). Some medals have already been won but none of the gymnastics events have finished yet.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back