Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

The Olympic Games remind me of my badminton competition in the secondary school. I was not good at sport and still isn't! I knew I wouldn't win a medal but I still wanted to win one or two rounds in the competition. I was really nervous when I fell behind a lot. Therefore, when I see athletes maintain composure, make up for the lost marks and finally win the competition, I feel proud of them.

Last edited:
You need to lose an article (the) in the first sentence.

For the second sentence, try: "I wasn't good at sports, and I'm still not."

What competition?

Try: "I would get really nervous when I fell behind, which happened quite a lot."

**maintain their composure

It comes down to one word: focus. Or three words: focus, focus, focus.

Here's some free advice. Don't think about being nervous. That will just make you more nervous.

Sorry. Maybe I was too focused. 🤔

Note that "Games" is definitely plural.

You could have left the second "competition" out.

Sorry. Maybe I was too focused. 🤔

Note that "Games" is definitely plural.

You could have left the second "competition" out.
Do you mean I can use “in it”?

Try:

I knew I wouldn't win a medal, but I still wanted to win one or two rounds.

I thought badminton was a team sport.

I'm confused. Where are you trying to use "in it"?
I knew I wouldn't win a medal but I still wanted to win one or two rounds in it.

@Maybo Did you read post #6?

Watching the badminton at the Olympic Games reminded me of my a badminton competition/tournament I took part in in the at secondary school. I was not good at sport and I'm still isn't not! I knew I wouldn't win a medal but I still wanted to win one or two rounds matches. in the competition. I was became really nervous when I fell behind a lot lost several matches and was a long way behind. Therefore, when I see athletes maintain their composure, make up for the lost marks and finally win the competition, I feel proud of them.

I don't use "in it" in my sentence. If you are referring to the competition you can say "in the competition".

Note that some people use exclamation marks where others do not. Apparently, they are supposed to indicate irony or something like that. 🤔

Last edited:
I knew I wouldn't win a medal but I still wanted to win one or two rounds in it.
There's no need for anything after "one or two rounds". As you'll see in my later response, I'd say "one or two matches". If the tournament consisted of several rounds, then quarter-finals, semi-finals and a final, say "I wanted to come through at least the first couple of rounds".

If the score is 11:3(me) and full score is 15, can I say “I’m a long way behind”?

Last edited:
If by "full score" you mean "winning score" then yes, if you are behind 11 to 3 you are very far behind. You still have a chance, but it's an uphill battle.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back