Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Lily's dad has lung cancer, and she suspects the main cause is that he smokes a lot. I told her that my dad also smokes a lot but he drinks tea like water. It's said that tea has antioxidants that maintain blood vessels' health and has a substance that prevent cancer. I asked Lily if her dad would like to try, though it might not help much. She hopes that her dad can stay alive longer with a stronger survival will because her dad was told that he has only 6-month life at most.

I'd write "six months to live at most", and "stronger will to survive".

Drinking tea probably helps to prevent cancer but not cure it.

Lily's dad has lung cancer, and she suspects the main cause is that it's because he smokes a lot. I told her that my dad also smokes a lot but he drinks tea like water. It's said that tea has antioxidants that maintain the health of blood vessels ' health and has contains a substance that prevents cancer. I asked Lily if her dad would like to try it, even though it might not help much. She hopes that her dad can stay alive longer with a stronger survival will because her dad was told that he has only 6-month life at most. She hopes her dad's will to live will help him survive beyond his six-month survival prognosis.
See above. You've failed to mention what Lily's response to your suggestion was.

I assume you're talking about green tea or matcha tea. Just saying that your dad drinks a lot of tea doesn't really help. There are thousands of different teas and not all of them have the claimed benefits you describe (be aware that, here in the UK, making cancer-related claims for any food or drink is fraught with problems and, in some cases, illegal).

She said HER dad doesn’t like tea very much.
There are lots of claimed benefits for this or that or the other thing.

There are lots of claimed benefits for this or that or the other thing.
There are, but in some countries if those claims can't be backed up by medically recognised/professional studies, they can't be made at all.

Of course, the phrase "claimed benefits" implies a certain amount of skepticism.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back