Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Since in my twenties, pimples had been grown on my chin frequently. At first, I didn’t understand why because even though I didn’t eat any oily things, they still appeared. However, I discovered the cause recently. It was because I rarely ate fish and therefore lacked some vitamins or nutrients. Lately, I’ve been eating salmon fish and all my pimples have disappeared.

Since in my twenties, pimples had been grown on my chin frequently. At first, I didn’t understand why because even though I didn’t eat any oily things, they still appeared. However, I discovered the cause recently. It was because I rarely ate fish and therefore lacked some vitamins or nutrients. Lately, I’ve been eating salmon fish and all my pimples have disappeared.
Like last time, I've marked up the parts that need improvement.

Revised:

Since my twenties, pimples had grown on my chin frequently. At first, I didn’t understand why because even though I didn’t eat any oily things, they still appeared. However, I discovered the cause recently. It was because I rarely ate fish and therefore lacked some vitamins or nutrients. Lately, I’ve been eating salmon and all my pimples have disappeared.

Since my twenties, pimples had grown on my chin frequently. At first, I didn’t understand why because even though I didn’t eat any oily things, they still appeared. However, I discovered the cause recently. It was because I rarely ate fish and therefore lacked some vitamins or nutrients. Lately, I’ve been eating salmon and all my pimples have disappeared.
There's one error left to correct. The first word of the piece is what's causing the problem. If you want to keep the first word, you need to change the word in red.

There's one error left to correct. The first word of the piece is what's causing the problem. If you want to keep the first word, you need to change the word in red.
I’m thinking of two possibilities:
1. Since my twenties, pimples have grown on my chin frequently.
2. In my twenties, pimples started to grow on my chin frequently.

I’m thinking of two possibilities:
1. Since my twenties, pimples have grown on my chin frequently.
2. In my twenties, pimples started to grow on my chin frequently.
Both are possible.
Use #1 if you still get pimples (the use of "since" and the present perfect means that the situation continues to the present day).
Use #2, if you simply want to make it clear that your twenties was when it started. However, this doesn't mean it doesn't happen anymore.

If it no longer happens, try "In my twenties, I was prone to getting pimples on my chin".

I meant to add in the last post that we don't usually say that pimples "grow". They appear or you just "have" them.

In my twenties, I suffered from [facial] acne.
In my twenties, I had a lot of pimples.

Also note that BrE speakers generally call them "spots", not "pimples".

Can “since” be used with “had p.p.”? I don’t have pimples now. They disappeared a couple of weeks ago.

If it no longer happens, try "In my twenties, I was prone to getting pimples on my chin".
I still had them in my early thirties but I’m now in my thirties. :ROFLMAO:

Can “since” be used with “had p.p.”?
Yes, but it doesn't work in this context. Here's an example in which it works:

Since 1972, Paul had undergone three orthopaedic surgeries but in 1980 his surgeon decided enough was enough and amputated his leg.

The past perfect "had undergone" is written from the perspective of 1980, which is in the past compared to now. The 1980 section uses the past simple.

I hate to tell you this but when you were in your early thirties, you were in your thirties!

I don’t have pimples now. They disappeared a couple of weeks ago.
If you started getting them in your twenties and they disappeared just a couple of weeks ago, I'd be inclined to make that clearer in your text.

From my twenties, until a couple of weeks ago, I frequently got pimples on my chin.

If you started getting them in your twenties and they disappeared just a couple of weeks ago, I'd be inclined to make that clearer in your text.

From my twenties, until a couple of weeks ago, I frequently got pimples on my chin.
Can I say “From my twenties, until a couple of weeks ago, I was prone to getting pimples on my chin”?

I'm not sure what that means. You can use "but" in the following manner. (See below.)

I still had them in my early thirties, but I don't have them anymore.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back