Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I'm wondering what people would do when they had allergies in the ancient times. Did they have medicine to cope with it? If they had, was it effective fast? I suspect when people didn't know what allergy was in the ancient times, they might accuse others of poisoning food. Some people's allergy flared up because of just smelling nuts and died shortly, but they might not even know what had happened to them at that time.

Perhaps:

I wonder what people did in ancient times when they had a bad reaction to something. Did they think somebody had poisoned their food? Did they have remedies for that sort of thing?

You are right that people didn't know what allergies were in "ancient times". I'm sure there were remedies, but I'm also sure they were not effective with things like anaphylactic shock.

I would add "symptoms of" before "allergies" in the first sentence.

"Ancient times" does not need a definite article.

"Fast" in "effective fast" is redundant.

last sentence - ...they might not know what the cause was...

"Fast" in "effective fast" is redundant.
But some remedies take at least 10-20 minutes to start to be effective while some are immediately effective such as spray.

I'm wondering what people would do did when they had allergies allergic reactions in the ancient times. Did they have medicine to cope deal with it? If they had did, was it effective fast did it work quickly? I suspect when people that if they didn't know what allergy was in the ancient times about allergies, they might accuse others of poisoning have suspected their food had been poisoned. Some people's allergy flared up because of just smelling nuts and died shortly, but they might not even know what had happened to them at that time. Some people are so allergic to nuts that they can die very quickly from anaphylaxis - if that happened in ancient times, people probably had no idea what had caused it.
See above. I think you need to be a bit more specific about "ancient times"!

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back