Diary - I'm watching a TV show about ancient people's life.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I'm watching a TV show about ancient people's life. Many ancient people needed to do manual work to make a living, and some of them even walked up and down the mountain to sell things. I don't think I could survive long at that time. Just imagining bitten by mosquitoes every night is terrifying. Not to mention, how toilsome is it to hold a heavy hoe to farm? Meanwhile, some farmers might even have been worried about the crop of harvest. I'm quite interested in how future people see us. Will they feel fortunate not living in our times too?

Last edited:
Just imagining bitten by mosquitoes every night is terrifying. Not to mention, how toilsome is it to hold a heavy hoe to farm?
Perhaps: Just imagining bitten by the mosquitoes every night is terrifying, not to mention how toilsome it is to hold a heavy hoe to farm.

I used "the" because I thought that you were referring to the mosquitoes outdoors.
I'm quite interested in how future people see us.
I'm not sure but I'm tempted to use "will" in "how future people [will] see us".

Last edited:
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I'm watching a TV show about ancient people's life in the old days/ancient times. Many ancient The people then needed to do manual work to make a living, and some of them even walked up and down had to commute from mountains to sell things (trade). I don't think I could survive long at tath time if I lived during those times. Just imagining The thought of being bitten by mosquitoes every night is terrifying. Not to mention, how toilsome is it tiring it would be to hold a heavy hoe to farm to be working with heavy tools to do farming? Meanwhile, some farmers might even have been worried about the crop of harvest. There was always the uncertainty about the harvest of crops which people depended on for food. I'm quite interested in how future people the future generation see us. Will they feel fortunate for not living in during our times too (when they look back)?
You don't call people in ancient times "ancient people". You also don't call people in the future "future people".

Last edited:
You don't call people in ancient times "ancient people".
Isn't it quite common to say ancient people? I meant people living in 200-300 hundred years ago.

Say:

I mean people who lived 200-300 years ago.

Also, they had "lives"-- not a "life".

Perhaps:

I am learning about what life was like for people who lived in the pre-industrial age.

Isn't it quite common to say ancient people? I meant people living in 200-300 hundred years ago.
I think "ancient" used with "people" has a negative connotation, though it's not wrong.

We might say someone is "ancient" if that person is very old.

Back