Diary - I just watched an Olympic rhythmic gymnastic match.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I just watched an Olympic rhythmic gymnastic match. The performers' uniforms are so beautiful that they can compare to Latin dancing dresses. I wonder when the gymnasts threw the clubs up in the air, did they fear that they would be hit? It's really hard to control the timing of catching their tools. I think this event ties artistry, sport and entertainment all in one. When I watched it, I thought it was the most difficult event in the Olympics, but then synchronized swimming hit me because swimmers need to perform in the water and that's a lot more harder!

You're misusing "match". That's not a term used in gymnastics. You can have a football match, tennis match, and there are several other sports that can collocate with "match". Gymnastics isn't one of them.
They don't wear "uniforms" when they're competing (they wear uniforms at the opening ceremony and perhaps when they collect their medals).
They don't use "tools" in rhythmic gymnastics. They use equipment.
I'm certain you know "more harder" is wrong.

Considering how often you seem to watch gymnastics, I'm surprised you're not more familiar with the correct terminology. I suggest you watch it on a channel that has English-speaking commentators or put the English subtitles on. You're not picking up any useful vocabulary if you're listening to commentators speaking Chinese.

I'd like you to completely rewrite your piece taking all of that into account.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back