Diary - I just learnt a paradox about the Ship of Theseus.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I just learnt a paradox about the Ship of Theseus. The worn out parts of the ship have been replaced by new ones until no original part remains. It begs the question of whether this ship is still the Ship of Theseus. However, if the worn-out parts were assembled into a ship, would it become the real Ship of Theseus? In my opinion, it's just its name and symbolic meaning make the ship unique. In the sense of construction, they are the same. For example, if we replace all the parts of boeing 777, it will still be a boeing 777 because it's construction and model won't changed. Therefore, if both ships' construction are the same and they have been used by Theseus, both ships are the Ship of Theseus. :ROFLMAO:

This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I just learnt a paradox about the Ship of Theseus. The worn out parts of the ship have been replaced by new ones until no original part remains. It begs the question of whether this ship is still the Ship of Theseus. However, if the worn-out parts were assembled into a ship, would it become the real Ship of Theseus? In my opinion, it's just its name and symbolic meaning make the ship unique. In the sense of construction, they are the same. For example, if we replace all the parts of boeing 777, it will still be a boeing 777 because ITS construction and model HAVEN'T changed. Therefore, if both ships' construction are the same and they have been used by Theseus, both ships are the Ship of Theseus. :ROFLMAO:
You need to capitalize "Boeing".

I feel like I have missed something. šŸ«¤

Thanks, but I was thinking in terms of not being fully awake and needing to get some sleep. (It's 4:08 AM here.)

I'll look at it again later.

(It seems like the kind of argument people have when they have too much time on their hands. šŸ˜Š)

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back