Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I just finished reading a thriller called “The Housemaid”. The book is about a woman called Nina trying to get rid of her psychopath husband by looking for a replacement for herself - a housemaid. Nina has been tortured by her husband, and he once nearly killed his nonbiological daughter. He locks Nina up out of many trivial reasons. For example, she forgot to dye her roots so there were two colours on her hair, and he found it unacceptable. As a punishment, he locked her up and demanded her to pull out 100 pieces of hair before letting her out. Another punishment was given to the housemaid. She forgot to put back his books to the bookshelves after reading them. Therefore, he locked her up and asked her to lie down and put three books on her belly for three hours. He wanted her to feel the heaviness he bore when he held the books to the bookshelves. I wonder how the author could come up these kind of punishments. They’re cruel but at some point I find them amused because they’re too ridiculous!

Last edited:
I thought articles are not needed to be capitalised. 🙈 It’s corrected.
Not in the middle of a time, but "The Housemaid" has "The" at the beginning.

This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I just finished reading a thriller called “The Housemaid”. The book is about a woman called Nina trying to get rid of her psychopath husband by looking for a replacement for herself - a housemaid. Nina has been tortured by her husband, and he once nearly killed his STEPdaughter. He locks Nina up FOR many trivial reasons. For example, she forgot to dye her roots so there were two colours on her hair, and he found it unacceptable. As a punishment, he locked her up and demanded THAT SHE pull out 100 pieces of hair before HE LET her out. Another punishment was given to the housemaid. She forgot to put back his books ON the bookshelves after reading them. Therefore, he locked her up and DEMANDED THAT lie down and put three books on her belly for three hours. He wanted her to feel the heaviness he bore when he PUT the books ON the bookshelves. I wonder how the author CAME come up these kindS of punishments. They’re cruel but at some point I find them AMUSING because they’re SO ridiculous!
I don't understand the part about the heaviness of the books.

I don't understand the part about the heaviness of the books.
The housemaid put some books on the coffee table and didn’t put them back to the original place. The guy thought the books were heavy and he had to put them back. He got angry so he punished the housemaid and made her feel the heaviness of the books for three hours.

The housemaid put some books on the coffee table and didn’t put them back IN the original place. The guy thought the books were heavy and he had to put them back. He got angry so he punished the housemaid and made her feel the heaviness of the books for three hours.
That's very strange behavior. Why didn't she get out of there?

That's very strange behavior. Why didn't she get out of there?
She didn’t know that. After Nina and her husband separated, he showed his true colours to the housemaid.

I just finished reading a thriller called “The Housemaid”.
The author's name would be useful too.
The book is about a woman called Nina who is trying to get rid of her psychopathic husband by looking for a replacement for herself - a housemaid.
I don't think "get rid" is quite what you mean. That makes it sound as if she's looking for a way to throw him out of the house or a way to kill him. That doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the piece.
Not only has Nina has been tortured by her husband, and but he once nearly killed his non-biological daughter.
Can you see how my changes above improve the way the sentence reads? Also, billions of girls are his "non-biological daughter". Say what you mean. Is she his step-daughter? Is she an adopted daughter? What's the actual relationship between them?
He locks Nina up out of for many trivial reasons.
I wouldn't use "many" there, even though it might well be the case. The number doesn't really matter. It's how trivial they are that matters. Consequently, I'd probably say "for very/really trivial reasons".
For example, she forgot to dye her roots so there were two colours on her hair was two different colours, and he found it that unacceptable.
My changes above make it more natural.
As a punishment, he locked her up and demanded her to that she pull out 100 pieces strands of hair before letting he would let her out.
The way you wrote it sounded as if he simply made that demand before he let her out, not that she actually pulled out her hair before she could be freed.
Another A different punishment was given meted out to the housemaid.
Have a new phrasal verb on me - "to mete out".
She forgot to put back his books back to on the bookshelves after reading them.
This is ambiguous. Who had read the books? To me, that means that she read his books and then forgot to put them back on the shelf. I have a feeling you mean that he'd read them and she was supposed to tidy them away. Am I right?
Therefore, he locked her up, and asked told her to lie down, and put three heavy/large books on her belly and left them there for three hours.
The act of putting the books on her belly didn't last for three hours.
He wanted her to feel the heaviness he bore when he held the books to the bookshelves.
I have no idea what the underlined part means.
I wonder how the author could come came up with these kinds of punishments.
They came up with them in the past so that's the tense you should use.
"These" and "punishments" are plural so you need the plural "kinds" with them.
They’re cruel but at some points I find found them amused amusing because they’re too ridiculous!
You've finished the book so you found the punishments amusing.

She didn’t know that. After Nina and her husband separated, he showed his true colours to the housemaid.
What did she not know? As it is, it's unclear to me why she tolerated his strange behavior. Did he restrain her in some way?

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back