Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

After watching some Olympic games, I find that a determined player can stimulate his opponent's competitive spirits and makes him go from strength to strength. However, some less determined players usually play sloppily when they are a long way behind. I think they can take the games as training even if they believe they are losing, because they might not have many opportunities to compete against someone stronger within their own countries as they're already the top.

Perhaps:

and make him work harder to achieve success

I think if you ask the "sloppy" player he will tell you he did his best, but he was simply outclassed.

They are well passed the training stage.

They are well passed the training stage.
They can be better. That’s why people hold international competitions so that people from different countries can learn from each other.

I think if you ask the "sloppy" player he will tell you he did his best, but he was simply outclassed.
Some might did his best. But some were obviously playing at the end. :ROFLMAO: Even the narrator told about that to the audience.

I'm not sure what you mean by "obviously playing" there. In any case it is no time to hold back when you are at the Olympics.

It's true that you can still make mistakes. Simone Biles fell off the balance beam. 😯 But she still got three gold medals and one silver medal.

It's true that you can still make mistakes. Simone Biles fell off the balance beam. 😯 But she still got three gold medals and one silver medal.
Not that kind of mistake. It usually involves at least two players playing against each other.

Not all of the competitions are like table tennis.

(That photo of Rebecca, Simone and Jordan has probably gone viral.)

Not all of the competitions are like table tennis.

(That photo of Rebecca, Simone and Jordan has probably gone viral.)
Therefore, I said "some". :ROFLMAO:

No, you said: "It usually involves at least two players playing against each other."

BTW, I recently learned that Simone wasn't the only one who fell on balance beam. Five out of eight did that. 😯

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back