Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]I saw the following sentence written by a manager in customer care service to his team members inquiring about a particular problem. Is the use of word "resolution" correct? Wouldn't "solution" be more appropriate? [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Can I know if this customer got his resolution?[/FONT]

If the manager wrote only the words "customer got his resolution", then it's not a sentence and it's not grammatical. Did he/she write anything else?

Pardon me for not providing the full context.

He chatted this message to his team. However, this sentence stood alone; not with any other sentence attached. In other words, yes, he just wrote these words.

Which country was this in?

India, Bhaisahab.

I thought perhaps it was India. It might be a business English thing, but it's not used naturally in my opinion. I would write "Could you let me know whether this customer's problem was resolved?" or something similar.

When you said "He chatted this to his team", I took that to mean he was using a piece of "chat" software. If that's the case, then people rarely write in full sentences on those things. Having said that, it's still not clear what he meant. He could have been trying to ask "Did the customer's problem get resolved?" or trying to state "The customer's problem has been resolved".

In answer to your first question, though, "resolution" is a perfectly acceptable word to use in connection with a problem or complaint in the business world. Many companies even have "Resolution Teams".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back