cord or code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could the OP possibly mean "beliefs" as in a person's "moral code"?

I was assuming something like "moral code" but it seems a strange thing to say to your spouse. Shouldn't you know this before you're married?

Yes, I though that was odd too. I suppose it may not be odd if it is something like an arranged marriage.

Last edited:
According to Korean website search, code is the one meant in the expressions. But there's many wrong usages of English in Korean and this seems to be one of them.

Why are Korean spouses talking to each other in English?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/discord

Now that I think about it, we do have "discord."

This is one of those English things where the negative still exists, but you never hear the original word. Like "disgruntled."

No one is "gruntled" and no married couples have "cord."

The Japanese language has borrowed a lot of words from the English language. They are sometimes used in different ways from the original. I think the same is true of the Korean language.

The Japanese language has borrowed a lot of words from the English language. They are sometimes used in different ways from the original. I think the same is true of the Korean language.
Both Korean and Japanese characters are not composed of Latin alphabet, so how can the two languages borrow words from English?

Both Korean and Japanese characters are not composed of Latin alphabet, so how can the two languages borrow words from English?

They are Japanized, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back